Question Worst RX Vega 64 of all time?

NoahxX

Commendable
Feb 5, 2020
Hello, so I have an RX Vega 64 Strix that never has gpu usage more than 50-60% and in some games I cant even reach the 60fps, time ago I made a thread with the same problem but with bad ram sticks, I updated motherboard, rams, disk and I still have the same problems.
The problems are that I cant get my GPU to more than 1450Mhz clock, Im not having temp issues neither voltage, also my VRAM speed cant stay in 945mhz, which is the gpu default clock. I spent all day trying to get it to atleast 1500 stable and I couldnt, tried with other guys clocks and voltages that reached stable 1700mhz (which is normal to my gpu, by default it is set at 1630mhz, with overclock it should run those values without a problem) from the Adrenalin Software, also tried undervolting my VRAM and it still stays in 945mhz and switching to 800 after a minute or so, and crashes because its unstable; on amd software theres an option to auto undervolt/overclock/ overclock vram, the undervolt option its the same thing with or without it, the overclock targets my clock speed to 1715mhz, but does nothing, never reaches even 1500mhz, and if I press on the overclock vram, my gpu will crash or it will tell me that the overclock failed, the power limit is set to +50% on every manual overclock, thats not the problem. Im not testing it on any game (I know that some games dont need that much gpu so my gpu itself does that), im testing it on MSI Kombustor 4 on a 1280x720 preset and x8 tesselation, I get 99% usage on kombustor and 1-11% of cpu usage, in some games I cant even make it to reach 60fps, with usages of 60% of my gpu and cpu probably 40%, on CSGO for example I get around 80-150 fps with any setting (low/med/high), it has an usage of 30% cpu and gpu not even 35%, I dont really know what is happening, I had this problem since I bought this GPU, I had so much stress playing games, probably soon going for a 3080, Im done with amd(back then I had a r7 360, I cant describe how perfect that gpu was, every AAA game with 60+ fps in good resolution and quality, thats the reason I bought this one), also tried 2018 ASUS ROG drivers that came on the CD, did nothing, my bios is updated to the latest recommended one, I dont have any amd chill/cool and quiet thing on my bios or adrenalin software. The monitor im testing rn is on a Samsung S19C150 1366x768 60hz native, with a HDMI to VGA adapter, never tried it on other resolutions, but I dont think that having really low fps and a low usage of gpu is because of having a low resolution monitor. For doing the tests I wiped my disk and installed a clean windows 10 pro, version 21H2.

Tests:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwHq0x2-6G8&ab_channel=Noah

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/53017671 (im not from japan lol)

MB: old: Gigabyte AB350M G3 new: ASUS TUF B450 Plus II
GPU: ASUS Strix RX Vega 64 OC 8GB HBM2
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.9GHz (stock cooler with temps around 65-75 and sometimes 80 with AAA games)
RAM: old: 2x4 GB Corsair LPX 2666Mhz and 1x4 GB Team T-Force 2666Mhz new: 1x16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz (clocked at 3000mhz because my old ryzen cant handle 3200, I tested this out before posting with other rams and my old motherboard)
PSU: Corsair CX750M 80plus
SSD: old: Kingston 120 SSD new: M.2 NVMe Kingston 1TB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7.2k (I removed my Kingston 120 SSD and this one for discarding any disk related issue, actually only using my M.2)

If anybody can tell me what is happening or what to do, ill be very grateful, a 4 years old problem that still is here...
Thanks all, Noah.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
How old is the PSU in your build? Although the PSU suggestion for a system with an RX Vega 64 is 700W, you're advised to have a higher wattage unit for the sake of headroom.

The monitor im testing rn is on a Samsung S19C150 1366x768 60hz native, with a HDMI to VGA adapter,
You might want to source a 1080p monitor or higher and then run your gamut of tests.

NoahxX

Commendable
Feb 5, 2020
How old is the PSU in your build? Although the PSU suggestion for a system with an RX Vega 64 is 700W, you're advised to have a higher wattage unit for the sake of headroom.

The monitor im testing rn is on a Samsung S19C150 1366x768 60hz native, with a HDMI to VGA adapter,
You might want to source a 1080p monitor or higher and then run your gamut of tests.
I thought that this was the problem, but since 2k18 when I bought this I have the same problem, I have a CX750 80+ gold (4 y/o), I dont think this is the problem, I thought if my PSU couldnt handle all of this, it would turn of the pc or something right? Also on the official rog page of the graphic, the recomended is 750w, I dont know what to do... the thing is that here on Argentina Hardware is really expensive, and changing MB/RAM/Disk costed around 300 usd, I want to get this problem solved and not trying to find it by buying everything new, this pc has already gived me a lot of headaches, but, im going to buy a new one soon if you think this is the issue. Also I will test it on a 1080p display

NoahxX

Commendable
Feb 5, 2020

Do you think a GP-P850GM will be good? or should I go for a GP-P1000GM to solve any of this issues? Both 80Plus Gold from Gigabyte, around 110 USD the 850W one, and 140 USD the 1000W. If you watch the Watts used from the GPU on the benchmark its unstable, from 220 to 190 instantly...

Edit: Saw a lot of videos of those exploding, im thinking on going to a RM850X 80+

Last edited: