Question Worst time to buy a video card, but what is my best option?

rdross80

Reputable
Sep 9, 2016
I've decided to build my son a gaming PC for Christmas this year. I had made this decision back before I realized what a mess this RTX 3000 launch was going to be. My original plan was to give him my old card (a 2070 Super) and get myself a 3080. Well obviously that is not going to happen before Christmas without paying a scalper a ridiculous mark-up, and I'm sure getting a Big Navi card will be just as difficult to buy. So I'm thinking a good plan B might be to just keep the 2070 Super in my rig for now, and get him a cheaper card temporarily. Then next year, when the 3080s or Big Navi becomes more available, buy one of those for me, and sell that cheaper card. My main thing with that is, I'd like to not lose a lot of money off that card when reselling it. I'm worried with these new cards coming out, the previous gen cards will plummet in value after I buy it. Any suggestions on my options? I was thinking maybe getting a 2060 for now, as that should be plenty of power for what he plays, but do you think I could turn that around without a big loss next year? Would buying used be the best way to go?

USAFRet

Titan
I've decided to build my son a gaming PC for Christmas this year. I had made this decision back before I realized what a mess this RTX 3000 launch was going to be. My original plan was to give him my old card (a 2070 Super) and get myself a 3080. Well obviously that is not going to happen before Christmas without paying a scalper a ridiculous mark-up, and I'm sure getting a Big Navi card will be just as difficult to buy. So I'm thinking a good plan B might be to just keep the 2070 Super in my rig for now, and get him a cheaper card temporarily. Then next year, when the 3080s or Big Navi becomes more available, buy one of those for me, and sell that cheaper card. My main thing with that is, I'd like to not lose a lot of money off that card when reselling it. I'm worried with these new cards coming out, the previous gen cards will plummet in value after I buy it. Any suggestions on my options? I was thinking maybe getting a 2060 for now, as that should be plenty of power for what he plays, but do you think I could turn that around without a big loss next year? Would buying used be the best way to go?
There is no magic.

If the uber device you want is not available, or at a reasonable price....there isn't much you can do.

Spec and build him a PC, upgrade as available.

Reactions: rdross80

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
I managed to pre order a 3070 today for the end of November. I'm not sure if the same can be said for the 3080. I currently have a 2060 super and it just about manages 4k gaming. So if the 3070 boasts better performance than a 2080 that manages 4k the 3070 should be adequate I guess.

rdross80

Reputable
Sep 9, 2016
I managed to pre order a 3070 today for the end of November. I'm not sure if the same can be said for the 3080. I currently have a 2060 super and it just about manages 4k gaming. So if the 3070 boasts better performance than a 2080 that manages 4k the 3070 should be adequate I guess.

I tried ordering a 3070, but had no luck.