[SOLVED] Worth an upgrade?

Mar 26, 2020
Hi,

Years ago i bought the following spec and i wonder if its worth upgrading my graphics card, processor and power supply. I game on 1920x1080 and got a $500ish budget at the moment.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500
GPU: Nvidea GTX 1060-3GB
MBD: Gigabyte GA-B150M-HD3
RAM: 2 x Kingston 8GB 1Rx8 DDR4
PSU: 500W Xilence Performence C XP500

I was hoping to buy an GTX 1660 Super but i don’t know if my power supply wil do for the job. Same with my processor, does my motherboard support an upgrade to something that goes along with an GTX 1660 super or should i just buy a new pc all together?
I don’t mind suggestion for other brands if that means i can upgrade my current pc. Same with advice to just save along for a new pc if its not worth the trouble.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
You should probably be looking at a new PC.

The best processor for your current motherboard is going to be an Intel Core I7-7700K. On EBay, right now, they're running at a cost on par with a completely new processor and motherboard.

What speed is your DDR4 RAM?

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably start with a new power supply and graphics card. The power supply I'd recommend is going to set you back around $100 - $130, depending on the graphics card you opt for. That leaves you around $370 for a graphics card upgrade. Now you could stick with just a GTX 1660 Super at around $250 and that leaves you with a $120 head start on the CPU/Motherboard/RAM upgrade later or you could go with a better graphics card now, with the intent of...

Wolfshadw

Titan
You should probably be looking at a new PC.

The best processor for your current motherboard is going to be an Intel Core I7-7700K. On EBay, right now, they're running at a cost on par with a completely new processor and motherboard.

What speed is your DDR4 RAM?

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably start with a new power supply and graphics card. The power supply I'd recommend is going to set you back around $100 - $130, depending on the graphics card you opt for. That leaves you around $370 for a graphics card upgrade. Now you could stick with just a GTX 1660 Super at around $250 and that leaves you with a $120 head start on the CPU/Motherboard/RAM upgrade later or you could go with a better graphics card now, with the intent of upgrading the rest of your system ASAP.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: Dutch_Dennis
Solution
PSU: 500W Xilence Performence C XP500
This one? That is ~250W PSU (240W on 12V rail). Change it asap.
1457605235_w640_h640_blok-pitaniya-500w.jpg

As about your gpu upgrade - jump from GTX 1060 to GTX 1660 Super it not that big.
With $500 for PSU and GPU you could get RTX 2060 Super instead.

Reactions: Dutch_Dennis