Question Worth buying a second RTX 2080Ti or should I wait until the new nvidia 30***?

martinsykes

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
I am about to upgrade one of my two ageing water-cooled Intel Core i7 4930K Ivybridge-E, 6 core, X79, 64Gb, SLI 3 x Titan based systems dating from 2014/15.

My current thinking is a Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Extreme MB + AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960 + 1/2 RTX 2080Ti.

I am not a serious gamer, but do like Flight/Driving simulators and would like the power to drive my 3 main desk based Dell 30" UHD monitors at decent FPs. My current main PCs are used for CAD/Graphics/Photo editing and my Home Recording Studio with Cubase, Bitwig, WaveLab Pro, Absolute, Dorico, Reason, Roland Apps, NI Komplete Ultimate 11, etc. and a lot of hardware audio equipment. When using the DAWs I extend my desktop to an additional 2 Dell 30" monitors (wall mounted) for more Apps which determines my preference to go with a much larger CPU core count.

Question: Is it really worth buying a second RTX 2080Ti or should I wait until the new nvidia 30*** appears now that SLI seems to be in its deathbed? Many programs are only reporting small (15-20%) performance gains in SLI with this GC. However, if this would significantly help drive two more 30" (2650 x 1600) monitors either side of my central display at decent FPs for driving/flight sims it could be worth the extreme cost, but does anybody have real world experience of a 3 x UHD monitor + SLI 2 x RTX 2080Ti set-up?

So far, the few people I have asked have stated they have had issues and regret spending the extra £1500, but none of them are using more than one large 4K Monitor...………………….

Not likely to be worth it.
Do you really have 3 titans now?

I have a GTX1080ti and it runs a 4k monitor and a 2560 x 1600 monitor just fine at the 60hz limit of the monitors.
Such apps like driving sims lik a few fast processors.
Look into the i9-10900K if you can find one.

martinsykes

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
Not likely to be worth it.
Do you really have 3 titans now?

I have a GTX1080ti and it runs a 4k monitor and a 2560 x 1600 monitor just fine at the 60hz limit of the monitors.
Such apps like driving sims lik a few fast processors.
Look into the i9-10900K if you can find one.

Yes, but they were purchased in 2015 and are EVGA Titan Black Hydro Coppers, not the new superfast (and expensive) RTX Titans - if only...……….

Regards,

Mart1968

Yeah, can't say I have experience with multiple 4k displays, but it seems fairly certain to me that you'll regret buying 2 x 2080 Ti's right now when the upcoming 3080 Ti is going to drop in just a few months. Single GPU performance is where its at for sure. There'll undoubtedly be the successor to the RTX Titan as well to consider.