Question Worth changing from 6800xt to 3080?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Roberto62

Prominent
Jan 30, 2021
Hi,
I got a problem with my Power Color Re Devil 6800xt. I got fps drops and my Gpu isn't used at 100%. I tried a lot of different things but nothing worked. The usage goes from 60% to 85%. I have a R5 3600, an Asus tuf b450 and 16go 3466mhz. My friend who has the exact same card, and has a R5 5600x, an Msi b550 (don't know exactly) and 32go 3600mhz. We have different computers but we have the same problem.
So this can not be a Cpu bottleneck. And this can only be an issue from our gpu. We are thinking of changing to a RTX 3080 but I saw some people have the same problem with their 3080. So here is my question, is it worth changing from a 6800xt to a rtx 3080 for gaming in 1440p?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
A GPU at 100% means it's being fully utilized. So you're saying because my 2080ti is showing 100% usage in many of the games I play I need to upgrade to a 3080? LMAO
/sigh
I shouldn't even bother...
Many of your games see 100% usage, so I suppose:
It just sits there all the time, and the 11GBs of Vram is always in use regardless of whatever you're doing in game, huh? Because a 3rd party app told you so, right?
Explosions, menus, cinematics - you name it - 100% usage ALL the bloody time.

What is '100% usage' anymore these days?

You're content with your '100% usage' performance - you do you.

It's all bloody poison, and too many people get hung up on unnecessary crap, dang it!
A nerve has been struck - I'm going to go take a break, thanks.

/sigh
It just sits there all the time, and the 11GBs of Vram is always in use regardless of whatever you're doing in game, huh? Because a 3rd party app told you so, right?

It's all bloody poison, and too many people get hung up on unnecessary crap, dang it!
/sigh

Calm down, ma'am!

No, I can see it's usage change throughout the game and I can see how different games utilize it more or less.

So do you use "3rd party apps" to make sure your GPU is not at 100%?

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021
I don't really want 100% usage, I want to not have drops. Like in warzone I would like to have 144 fps for my 144hz screen. But One moment I have 150 fps and the second after it can go down to 110 fps

You can't really tell the difference and even if you can, it really isn't anything that affects gameplay.

But you could try updating the drivers for your gpu.

Roberto62

Prominent
Jan 30, 2021
/sigh

Hey no need to get mad, it's just the 1st time I buy a big card, I just want my money to be worth it

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well, I can tell you the following after looking at this and the 3D Mark stuff:
There's nothing wrong on the hardware side...

Oh, and you did get flagged for high cpu background usage, so you should look into that. If that same kind of background activity was going on in game, then yeah, that would affect performance some.
What could it be? Most likely 3rd party software.

Roberto62

Prominent
Jan 30, 2021
Well, I can tell you the following after looking at this and the 3D Mark stuff:
There's nothing wrong on the hardware side...

Oh, and you did get flagged for high cpu background usage, so you should look into that. If that same kind of background activity was going on in game, then yeah, that would affect performance some.
What could it be? Most likely 3rd party software.
So it could be Msi after burner for exemple ?

Roberto62

Prominent
Jan 30, 2021
I've deleted some softwares and change some priorities, wanted to do a user benchmark but the plane gpu benchmark keep crashing now, so it doesn't recognize my Gpu anymore...