Worth getting a 144Hz monitor?

mozarella

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017
Hey everyone. I'm kinda new to this so this might be a dumb question. My specs are:
i7-4770 3.4 Ghz
8Gb Ram
Nvidia gtx 970

Im currently using a 60Hz 1080p monitor (Philips 234E), but I was thinking of purchasing a 144Hz monitor since I play a lot of games. I'm currently not playing any FPS (not that I don't play them at all, just not now), my main game is GTA Online and the new AC Origins. The thing is, with my current setup I'm hitting a stable 60 Fps, rarely goes below 55. If I turn VSync off I get around 70fps on GTA, so if I buy a 144Hz monitor will it even make a difference since I rarely go above 60fps? Or will I start hitting higher FPS? Also is it generally better to get a 144Hz monitor with my GTX 970 since I game a lot and there are a lot of sales right now with Christmas and New Year approaching or if I phrase it better, is a 144Hz monitor a smart investment with my current specs?

Solution
Yes, going from 60Hz to 144Hz is so much better. Even if you don't have 144fps in your games it is still much more smoother, there is less input lag and response time is quicker. Maybe less worth it when not playing fps's since that is the primary use of 144hz monitors.
Tho if you choose to get one i would recommend going for a better gpu as your next upgrade as that can push your games further.
Looks like your gpu might actually be bottlenecking your system a bit

lucasaaron813

Prominent
Aug 19, 2017
Yes, going from 60Hz to 144Hz is so much better. Even if you don't have 144fps in your games it is still much more smoother, there is less input lag and response time is quicker. Maybe less worth it when not playing fps's since that is the primary use of 144hz monitors.
Tho if you choose to get one i would recommend going for a better gpu as your next upgrade as that can push your games further.
Looks like your gpu might actually be bottlenecking your system a bit

Solution