Worth getting the 1080ti or should I just wait for the RTX launch?

all1d0isw1n

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
So I've been looking to upgrade the GPU of my build to be able to handle 4K, since I am getting a new HDR Ultrawide monitor. I was debating if I should get the 1080ti or if it would be more worth to get the RTX 2080. Money is no object to me right now as it was when I originally made this build.
Also would I have enough room to install these big Beefaroni cards

CPU: Intel - Core i7-4790K 4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler
MOBO: ASRock - Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
GPU: XFX - Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card
RAM: G.Skill - Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Case: NZXT - Phantom (Black) ATX Full Tower Case
PSU: XFX - XTR 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Solution
I would wait until independent benchmarks are out on the RTX cards. The only thing we know right now is that so far is Ray Tracing has huge performance impacts on games, and Dice is turning down how much Ray Tracing will be in Battlefield 5 because of it. Nvidia says the RTX cards are 30% faster but again I would wait for independent benchmarks on the cards. Plus it should drive down the cost of the 10 series cards as well.
Wait till next week when the reviews come in and ask the question then. Right now, there is just not enough known about the RTX cards to make an educated decision.

I have a 1080ti and an ultrawide monitor and it pushes it just fine. So if you are worried about the 1080ti not handling the monitor, don't it is perfect for it.

I would wait until independent benchmarks are out on the RTX cards. The only thing we know right now is that so far is Ray Tracing has huge performance impacts on games, and Dice is turning down how much Ray Tracing will be in Battlefield 5 because of it. Nvidia says the RTX cards are 30% faster but again I would wait for independent benchmarks on the cards. Plus it should drive down the cost of the 10 series cards as well.

Solution

all1d0isw1n

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah I was a tad bit concerned if the 1080ti would perform well for a 4k ultra widemonitor, but thanks for dashing my concerns. I'm gonna hold off on buying till the RTX is launched and all the benchmarkers get their hands dirty like you said. I was just feeling a bit impatient lol!

2sidedpolygon

Prominent
Jul 1, 2018
Money is no object? Well, firstly, you should upgrade your CPU. A 4790K will bottlneck a 1080ti or 2080ti. Second, yes, you should get the 2080ti. If money is no object and you want the best of the best, it's what you want. Also, with the motherboard upgrade you'd need for an 8700K, you could really use some new RAM. I'd recommend G.Skills Trident Z RGB.You should also have a 750-1000W PSU to power all this.

So, again, all this hinging on money being no object, get the 2080ti, and upgrade just about everything else.

all1d0isw1n

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah I was thinking that the price for the features wouldn't be all that worth since there are next to no games that can support the new technology, and I was feeling impatient to get the 1080ti. But as they say patience is a virtue, so I might as well wait for a new card with hopefully better specs that is at a similar price to the 1080ti right now. Thanks!

all1d0isw1n

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

If I was looking to build a whole new PC, I wouldn't bother making this thread. So pray tell, how does a 4.0 Ghz clocked cpu bottleneck a high end gpu? To my information playing games at lower resolutions tends to place more work on the CPU. If you noticed that I mentioned I am getting a 4k monitor then the exact opposite is going to be happening. There is no need to upgrade "just about everything else", for what is DDR4 RAM going to improve in great amounts? Just cause the "age" on the parts are over 2 years means nothing compared to its performance.