[SOLVED] Worth it to spend money on Medion desktop from 2011?

Jan 26, 2019
I have a Medion Akoya P5253D. Specs:

12GB DDR3
550ti
2TB HDD
intel i7-2600
ECS H67H2-EM mobo
450W PSU

I already bought a new CPU cooler + case fan and a crucial SSD and it is working very well at the moment.
I just wonder if it is worth to buy a high end graphics card for it so I can game on it. I would buy it second-hand to save some money.
I dont have a 144hz or 4K monitor so I just want 60fps on ultra 1080p if possible
I tought of buying a 1060 6gb or even 1070 if I find a good deal.

Solution

Your optical drive is more like 2-5 watts savings when idle, I'm sure you are not burning disks all day while using the computer. You did not list your power supply brand and model, going by the motherboard brand and PC brand, it is likely a low quality one that will maybe have 300 real watts. Also keep in mind that the PSU...
Well I would go for 1060 6GB, but which PSU does it have?
You may have to look on the sticker of it for Brand (Like DELTA, Dell, Corsair), and how many amps does it have on 12V rail, and if it does have 6pin connector.

For me it would be worth it since it will do your requirments correctly.

Jan 26, 2019

I forgot to say that: 450W

Jan 26, 2019
I think the 1070 would be a bit overkill, but the 1060 will do fine. I would maybe unplug my optical drive, cuz I never use it and that saves me about 20 watts. If I calculate everything on coolermaster website, I come to 370 watt, so I don't have to upgrade my 450 power supply I guess. Unless I can also find a cheap one second-hand or something (in that case I'd rather do it to have a more silent psu)

Calculator is "EHM". Without knowing brand of psu , youre just doing fire hazzard.
Its easier to open and see what you have.
Because the higher the load the psu becomes more unstable, also including other stufff, like heating up and etc.

I did not mean to insult you but i do not trust those calculating crap.
But if you do wanna run on your psu, do on your own risk.

Your optical drive is more like 2-5 watts savings when idle, I'm sure you are not burning disks all day while using the computer. You did not list your power supply brand and model, going by the motherboard brand and PC brand, it is likely a low quality one that will maybe have 300 real watts. Also keep in mind that the PSU rating is the MAX, things like temperature and efficiency will affect that.

Solution