Question Worth it to Split 2TB M.2 SSD? [Solved & Problem UPDATE: M.2 Drive not Recognized]

Terry Holland

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2013
steamcommunity.com
Howdies. I want to split recently bought Sabrent Rocket Q 2TB M.2 SSD to 2x parts. One to be around 1.5TB & other around 300gb. Using it for gaming & that way smaller space to be used for media entertainment. Win 10 x64 Home OS is installed to separate 120gb SSD. After format drive is said to have 1.86TB space available. That reply i got from Sabrent's customer service with image attachment.

Not bad even though ofc would the space available to be 1.9tb. It's sad that Consumers are kinda "lied" to when they buy Storage Drives just cause of the way OS works with em numbers. Yeah it's the actual size that's been told & y it's better to show 2TB to consumer than 1.xxxx (many numbers) when displayed in bytes :D

Does this split benefit the drive when think of it's lifespan, speed etc. ? Can i do that partitioning with Acronis software after installed it & done format ? Good weekend to everyone & remember proper hygiene manners (cough to bent arm or p.tissue if don't have face mask on) & stay safe when outdoors :)

Kindly: Fedaygin

Lifespan, speed etc??

No makes no difference at all, it's still only a single physical drive.

The only real reason is if you're ocd about organisation, but when your windows install is already on a seperate drive it's going to be ultimately pointless.

Make a folder for Games (install all games there) and a folder for media, that's far more sensible than splitting the drive into 2 seperate partitions.

Reactions: Terry Holland

Terry Holland

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2013
steamcommunity.com
@madmatt30 Howdies & thanks for clear assist. UPDATE & now with WEIRD Situation / Problem:

I installed it to MB some moments ago. Mine appears in 'This Pc' in Win10 window, but still showing old SSD's Details there:eek: I'm 110% certain that new SSD that's now attached to MB has 2TB written to it. Prev. one that i removed about 35mins ago was 1TB. System still showing there to be max 931gb & free 931gb. Also it 'being' same name as my prev. 1TB :D What's going on.. :( Did Amazon.de charge me 2TB M.2 SSD's price & that drive actually has 1TB even it has 2TB written to it. That would be unique mistake in factory i guess & my basic bad luck.

Should i do something in Bios.. I didn't when switched 500gb to 1TB. How can Rig still show prev. SSD's info in Disk Management window & in 'This Pc' window where you also see all installed drives. I even did format again now via Disk Management after installed new 2TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Drive to MB. So weird minboggling:( Kindly: Totally Confused.

PST: I have brief video (also can take pic) from 2TB Drive that's attached properly to MB & the 2TB text can be seen. I can also show image from it's package.

Last edited:

Terry Holland

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2013
steamcommunity.com
Here is the Screenie from Disk Management:
2 partitions, 300GB + 1.xTB?
No. Serves no real purpose.
For your other issue, please post a screencap of your Disk Management window.
Have tried to insert image link from imgur & mediafire, but at both times got "error" pop up here. How to send that screenie since that's bugged ?

Kindly: Stunned from this Weird SSD Install Problem.

Terry Holland

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2013
steamcommunity.com
@USAFRet Yes indeed it is showing as 1TB like i wrote above ^^ :( I opened the box, touched metal surface before installing it to get rid of possible static "old habit", then installed it like every other m.2 drive so far. They never gave back this totally strange problem. I'll test now if can add some files to this 'ghost drive' & if can then it's even more mindboggling cause 1TB drive is on the table on top of the small Tools box. i sent 3x pictures & clear problem description to Sabrent from their website's support page.

Can't wait to see what they reply & if really this strange manuf. error happened in Taiwan's Factory then oh be darn i'm unlucky. Esp. cause i can't move to mail office to send it back to Germany's Amazon store cause of underlying condition that would make things really bad against Covid-19. This is so weird as it shouldn't even show anything if it wouldn't be properly on the slot.

UPDATE
: Now i clicked "Re Scan The Disks" at Disk Management page. That 'ghost' 1TB M.2 Drive turned to Disk 2 'Unknown' 931.5gb Not Inititalised 931.5gb unallocated. So if i recall that is a good sign & now right click on it & select something that can't recall atm.

Joseph57

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
have you attempted to try any of the Sabrent software? There is a "Control Panel" app and also another app called "Sabrent Sector Size Converter"
Sabrent Software

Sabrent’s Sector Size Converter enables you to change the drive’s sector size, which is necessary under certain data cloning
scenarios. It enables re-formatting of the Rocket drive with either a 512-byte or a 4096-byte sector.
Please note that this process destroys all the data on the drive being converted. Make sure to backup your data onto another drive
before you begin this process.
After the process is complete, you must reboot (sometimes even power off) your computer.
This step is necessary for your computer’s BIOS and operating system to detect the change,which is usually done only once during the
booting process. If you are using an external Sabrent drive, you can try disconnecting and reconnecting it for the settings to take effect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Terry Holland

Terry Holland

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2013
steamcommunity.com
Howdies & Morning o/ 10:55 here & woke up at 10:05 & not long after woke up the Rig. Took pictures from Bios settings & uploaded them to folder that made to them. Did it just in case if need to reset cmos. Haven't looked into DIsk Management yet, but did dive into 'Device Manager' & noticed this maybe a good sign under 'volumes' tab when went to that drive's properties. Could some moderator move this M.2 SSD Recognizing problem to own separate post so that the title here isn't misleading ? :) Now that i accidentally continued this partition split question w problem. Then in future if some ppl have same problem & looking at this may help.

Today 12.7.2020 Device Manager display almost 2TB (I think that MB's amount is close to TB) size on volumes tab. It's good sign i guess.. @madmatt30 Sure can upload screenie from Rig's spec if not getting solved after this report. @Joseph57 Yeah maybe good to take a look at it if it would help. Thought of doing it yesterday, but day's time ran out. I had Acronis Software installed for a while after installed Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 drive.

Terry Holland

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2013
steamcommunity.com
UPDATE: Got forward in semi good way :)Went to Disk Management after sent that image about amount shown at 'volumes' tab. There window popped about saying Disk 2 doesn't have & is recommended to (can't recall what) so then i saw at bottom of page Disk 2 to show that 2TB number :)Then i right clicked & saw the same options available as before when i switched from 500gb drive to new 1TB:)

Got to do steps before format & so on. Here's 2x Pictures before format w config i chose & the strange pop up window that came after. There's a arrow at right edge of image that forwards to next.

Terry Holland

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2013
steamcommunity.com
I have no idea what that popup indicates. I've never seen that.
Howdies & ty for reply. Bummer :( Waiting to see if someone here would know about it. I performed sfc /scannow at cmd prompt w admin rights active. It went through mostly well except found some corrupted files. They were repaired & now going to see the logs that are stored in windir\logs\cbs\cbs.log