[SOLVED] Worth it to upgrade from Ryzen 5 3600 to Ryzen 7 3700X?

Feb 21, 2020
Just wondering if it's Worth it to upgrade from Ryzen 5 3600 to Ryzen 7 3700X.

MOBO: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Plus Wifi

GPU: Geforce RTX 2070 Super

RAM: 32Gb Vengence RGB Pro 3200MHz

Storage: Samsung M.2-2280 970 EVO SSD

Solution
Unless you really need those extra cores for some task that can specifically make use of them, you would likely not notice any perceptible difference in performance. Per-core performance is maybe around 5% faster, but the actual performance difference in the vast majority of games would be less than that.

In any case, the 3000 series processors have been out for 9 months already, and the 4000 series is expected later in the year, which should offer at least some additional performance. If you already have a 3600, I would at least wait for those before considering upgrading.

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
If gaming is the only thing you want to do with your system then no because it's an overkill same as the 32GB of RAM for that reason.

If you really need these 2 extra cores for editing,rendering or whatever then it's worth.

Reactions: SEMissileMan
Feb 21, 2020
If gaming is the only thing you want to do with your system then no...
If you really need these 2 extra cores for editing,rendering or whatever then it's worth.

No i'm using it mostly for gaming. It's on sale at a local store for ~$260 and I've been thinking about getting into OC and I heard folks were having good results with the 3700X

Unless you really need those extra cores for some task that can specifically make use of them, you would likely not notice any perceptible difference in performance. Per-core performance is maybe around 5% faster, but the actual performance difference in the vast majority of games would be less than that.

In any case, the 3000 series processors have been out for 9 months already, and the 4000 series is expected later in the year, which should offer at least some additional performance. If you already have a 3600, I would at least wait for those before considering upgrading.

Solution

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
This CPU is the sweet spot for gaming right now.You are good with it.

If AMD keep their AM4 Socket for the next Gen then it's better to wait for an upgrade to 4th Gen Ryzen 5 with a BIOS Update on the motherboard

Feb 21, 2020

Okay, yeah I think that's probably a good call. This quarantine has me wanting to make unnecessary upgrades the longer I'm on my computer