Maksym

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Hi,

I currently have i3 530, HD 4850 and 10 Gb of RAM.

I'm thinking to upgrading to FX-6300, do you think the change will be worth it?

I know currently 2500k is the best in its class for value but its like 220$ before tax, where as FX-6300 is 129$ before tax, almost 100$ saving for marginal increase in performance, judging by benchmarks and reviews from Tom's Harware, etc.

Should I wait for Steamroller?

Thanks,

satyamdubey

Distinguished
6300 and 8320 are the best value in terms of cpu pricing alone. You will see a great deal of difference in your experience with upgrading to 6300. Not to mention, the upgrade path that AM3+ will provide (you'd be able to put a steam roller in).

satyamdubey

Distinguished

:) This explanation would be long

I run folding@home client (f@h). In case you do not know about it, it is a BOINC based distributed computing client. It does protine folding simulations and will use your gpu and cpu to do that. It can massively load the cpu (gpu's are designed for parallel processing butcpu's are designed for executing one instruction set faster) anyway the point is, that at my cpu's default clock, f@h loads all cores to 100% and my cpu temps reach 74-75 C. I prefer to keep my cpu max temp on load below 75.

I realized that at 2 GHz, I can run the few games I play, (Crysis and COD) pretty well (I anyway have a low end gpu with 9% OC) and at that clock speed, f@h with full cpu load only gets my cores to about 60-62 C.

When I have to ocassionally do product rendering, I set my cpu multi to default.

Maksym

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008

I think I understood half of it, but it somehow makes sense, thanks a lot for explaining.

I was like, everyone is trying to boost the performance and, for first time, I see someone downclocking. :)

justinxtreme

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
You have to look at it at a perspective though, that you will have to buy a new motherboard for the platform.

Why not just get an i5 750 or i7 860 online second hand? Both are LGA 1156 CPUs and both still dominate in terms of performance. The i5 750 is basically an i7 860 without the HyperThreading (and it's clocked down a bit) so you might save a bit getting an i5.

The i5 750 is going for around $80-$90 on eBay used (sometimes even new with box) and the i7 going for $100-$140 (it really depends on the auction) used and new.

Should definitely look into it, could save you an extra $50-$100 on getting that motherboard.

satyamdubey

Distinguished
^ I like justin's suggestion. A 750/860 would definately be a worthy upgrade over 530
the above suggestion becomes worthier with the fact that gen 1 core i7 do have better OC headroom than locked i5 and i7 frrom sandy/ivy family.
but it would still not be as big a jump as 6300. A stock 6300 would beat a 750, OC'ed it will beat 860. Only if you can find a good 9 series i7 (930, 970 etc) would sticking to 1156 be worth it.

When it comes out, Steamy will definitely beat the gen one core i processors and who knows may be even match ivy/sandy.