Worth my while starting to play UO again?

I used to play UO like an addict, but stopped once all the houses took over
the landscape about 4 years ago I stopped as they caused me to die of lag
death every time I left a town. I was on a 56K connection then but times
have changed. I was wondering if the original UO is still available to buy
as I cant seem to find it anywhere? Assuming it is, would people say it is
worth my while starting up again? Are there some open spaces again now or
is it still all houses? Has the game evolved much?

Thanks.

Ice

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 01:21:34 GMT, "Decimal Dust" <sdfsdfdsf@fgfgf.com>
wrote:

>I used to play UO like an addict, but stopped once all the houses took over
>the landscape about 4 years ago I stopped as they caused me to die of lag
>death every time I left a town. I was on a 56K connection then but times
>have changed. I was wondering if the original UO is still available to buy
>as I cant seem to find it anywhere? Assuming it is, would people say it is
>worth my while starting up again? Are there some open spaces again now or
>is it still all houses? Has the game evolved much?
>
>Thanks.

The game has changed to the point you would not know it was the same
game, but if a few houses bothered you enough to make you quit, you
probably would not like it now.

Ice

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 23:40:34 -0600, Ice <nobody@noplace.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 01:21:34 GMT, "Decimal Dust" <sdfsdfdsf@fgfgf.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I used to play UO like an addict, but stopped once all the houses took over
>>the landscape about 4 years ago I stopped as they caused me to die of lag
>>death every time I left a town. I was on a 56K connection then but times
>>have changed. I was wondering if the original UO is still available to buy
>>as I cant seem to find it anywhere? Assuming it is, would people say it is
>>worth my while starting up again? Are there some open spaces again now or
>>is it still all houses? Has the game evolved much?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>The game has changed to the point you would not know it was the same
>game, but if a few houses bothered you enough to make you quit, you
>probably would not like it now.

There are housing spots though. There are more land masses that you have
to search to find spots however. I'd suggest visiting uo.stratics.com and
read for a while to see all the new features. The towns are emptier but
the dungeons are busier but there are more of them too.

If you decide you want to ante up the $ to play it for a month, go get
yourself a copy of UO: Samurai Empire and install that version. Otherwise
you will not only spend hours patching but you won't have access to all
the current features.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

It depends what you'd like to do. Lag is ok for crafters, but if you
wanna pvp, try finding a pvp only shard to cut down on lag.

"Ice" <nobody@noplace.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 01:21:34 GMT, "Decimal Dust" <sdfsdfdsf@fgfgf.com>
> wrote:
> The game has changed to the point you would not know it was the same
> game, but if a few houses bothered you enough to make you quit, you
> probably would not like it now.
>
> Ice

There was never a problem of "a few houses". Most players were concerned
and annoyed at the time that virtually every bit of open space became
covered in houses overnight and I know dozens of people that stopped playing
because of it.

When you say it has changed, do you mean lots of new additions? Or just the
way that people are playing the game?

I will have a look on UO and read up what has gone on anyhow.

Thanks.

Decimal Dust wrote:
> I used to play UO like an addict, but stopped once all the houses took over
> the landscape about 4 years ago I stopped as they caused me to die of lag
> death every time I left a town. I was on a 56K connection then but times
> have changed. I was wondering if the original UO is still available to buy
> as I cant seem to find it anywhere? Assuming it is, would people say it is
> worth my while starting up again? Are there some open spaces again now or
> is it still all houses? Has the game evolved much?

The game has changed enough where the things that attracted you to it
may no longer be there for you. A lot less challenge to the game now
when it comes to making gold, professions and interface changes may
mean you would have to relearn everything.

The user base is shrinking which means lots of available housing on the
less popular shards. I see you are from the UK which is bad news for
housing. Lag playing on a distant shard is worse then ever with the
changes that were made so it may not be an option for you to play
someplace other then a local server.

Game codes are easy to come by if you want some free play. I
just<finally> bought the 7th aniverary edition which includes all the
expansions for $20 and adds a 6th character slot. I think it came with
something like 7 buddy codes for people that want to try out UO. If you
want a code let me know.

OSI also has "Come back to Britania" promotions every now and then for
people who quit. Usually it means at least a week of free play. It might
be a good idea to see if there is one going on.

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 08:42:06 GMT, "Decimal Dust" <sdfsdfdsf@fgfgf.com>
wrote:

>"Ice" <nobody@noplace.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 01:21:34 GMT, "Decimal Dust" <sdfsdfdsf@fgfgf.com>
>> wrote:
>> The game has changed to the point you would not know it was the same
>> game, but if a few houses bothered you enough to make you quit, you
>> probably would not like it now.
>>
>> Ice
>
>There was never a problem of "a few houses". Most players were concerned
>and annoyed at the time that virtually every bit of open space became
>covered in houses overnight and I know dozens of people that stopped playing
>because of it.
>
>When you say it has changed, do you mean lots of new additions? Or just the
>way that people are playing the game?
>
>I will have a look on UO and read up what has gone on anyhow.
>
>Thanks.

If you still remember your old userid/password it's worth the trouble
to reactivate your old account. You character are probably all still
there and the contents of your bank box may well have turned into rare
and expensive collectors items after all of this time.

Plus, you might qualify for a few veterans rewards depending on how
long you played.

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 17:44:30 -0600, "WindsorFox[SS]"
<windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote:

>Reg LeCrisp wrote:
>

>> If you still remember your old userid/password it's worth the trouble
>> to reactivate your old account. You character are probably all still
>> there and the contents of your bank box may well have turned into rare
>> and expensive collectors items after all of this time.
>>
>> Plus, you might qualify for a few veterans rewards depending on how
>> long you played.
>>
>> Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
>
> How would I check on that? I have no idea what was in any of my
>boxes.

You should get a prompt after logging into each account when rewards
become available to you. To check your bank boxes, um, go to the bank
with each char and check them. ;) You have to do it while logged into
the account in question obviously.

--

Michael Cecil wrote:
>>>If you still remember your old userid/password it's worth the trouble
>>>to reactivate your old account. You character are probably all still
>>>there and the contents of your bank box may well have turned into rare
>>>and expensive collectors items after all of this time.
>>>
>>>Plus, you might qualify for a few veterans rewards depending on how
>>>long you played.
>>>
>>>Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
>>
>> How would I check on that? I have no idea what was in any of my
>>boxes.
>

> You should get a prompt after logging into each account when rewards
> become available to you. To check your bank boxes, um, go to the bank
> with each char and check them. ;) You have to do it while logged into
> the account in question obviously.

Ouch, that hurts. How do I check on my "previous account" to see
if it is revivable?

--
2.3Sleeper: Anyone know how to disable the daytime
running lights on a 2001 Crown Vic or on a 2002 GMC?"

SVTKate: "A ball peen hammer?"

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 21:28:59 -0600, "WindsorFox[SS]"
<windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote:

> Ouch, that hurts. How do I check on my "previous account" to see
>if it is revivable?

:)

AFAIK, you have to activate it and just try it. It would be neat if we
could check status on inactive accounts somehow, check their bank boxes,
etc without logging in, but I don't think that's possible.

--

"Michael Cecil" wrote:

>> Ouch, that hurts. How do I check on my "previous account" to see
>>if it is revivable?
>
> :)
>
> AFAIK, you have to activate it and just try it. It would be neat if we
> could check status on inactive accounts somehow, check their bank boxes,
> etc without logging in, but I don't think that's possible.

It was a couple of months back but I think that's ended now. For about the
space of a few weeks to a month you could log in with an innactive account
and use it without paying to activate it.
Just checked my old second account and it seems to be that you can't do that
now. Looks like you'll have to activate it.

The Unbound wrote:

> It was a couple of months back but I think that's ended now. For
> about the space of a few weeks to a month you could log in with an
> innactive account and use it without paying to activate it.
> Just checked my old second account and it seems to be that you can't
> do that now. Looks like you'll have to activate it.

Yeah that was the 'return to britannia' program. Ended some time ago.
Still, always better to activate an older account, if only for the
characters that are already developed.

--
~ Ghosty
I Awoke In Britannia! http://britannia.blogspot.com

Well, firstly, Heroin is less adictive,.
House are still all over the place, although they are degrading now
with newer patchs. (people that left UOL and houses stayed)
new bad guys,
Doom is ok for a tamer with a BIG beasty.
its still fun pissing off people,.
:)