Worth r9 280x Matrix Platinum over 7970..?

LoufasGR

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015
Hi all.

I own a Sapphire 7970 dual X and a guy offers me a r9 280x matrix platinum for 230 euros.I could sell my 7970 for about 170 so I wouldn't add much money.

Would it be worth?I want to play game ultra at 60 fps and I see my 7970 struggles a bit..

Rest of my system:
i5 4670k
msi z87 g45 gaming
corsair vengeance 8gb dual channel
corsair cx500m.

ALL HELP APPRECIATED! :D

Solution

Those are both fine options. The answer really depends on your budget and what you can find. If you can get a good price on a 7970/280x and have a motherboard and PSU that will support crossfire, that would significantly boost your performance for not too much money.
If you can't find one for less than ~ 150 euros or if your system would require other upgrades to support XF, then it doesn't make financial sense. Buying a new, more powerful card and selling your old card would be a better investment.

Benchmarks may show the ~4% increase if you can actually reach that OC, but you won't be able to see it unless you have super-human perception.
If you are going to spend 230 euros, at least look at the R9 290 which is actually an upgrade. They sell for $220 here-I would think you could get one for what you are willing to spend on the 280x.

LoufasGR

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015
I live in Greece so w/e I buy will be a used product.
So you are saying than moving to r9 280x isnt worth?I have heard matrix platinum edition is a beast overclocker and can max out pretty much anything right now at 60 fps...I find my 7970 struggle a bit at DA Inquisition.

Those are both fine options. The answer really depends on your budget and what you can find. If you can get a good price on a 7970/280x and have a motherboard and PSU that will support crossfire, that would significantly boost your performance for not too much money.
If you can't find one for less than ~ 150 euros or if your system would require other upgrades to support XF, then it doesn't make financial sense. Buying a new, more powerful card and selling your old card would be a better investment.

Solution