Worth replacing my 850W PSU with a Corsair 1000W?

Flightsimluke

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
Hello,

Basically, I'm aiming for a system of low noise and high performance, and to a certain level I have achieved that, with only one thing holding me back.

That is my XFX Core 850W PSU. The PSU itself is perfectly fine, however it is the fan that is causing me some pretty big problems at the moment. It's very loud. Not just noticeable, but loud. Also, it's non modular which I don't like and it's inefficient.

So, I'm looking to replace it with this:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1000w-corsair-rm-series-cp-9020062-uk-full-modular-80-plus-gold-92-eff-eps-12v-1x135mm-fan-atx-v24

First of all, is it worth it? I'm going off the basis that it is designed to run a 1000W load, therefore at lower wattages (about 550-600 under load) it should be quieter. Also, it has connections that would allow me to Crossfire my 7970 - something I may look to do in the future with a watercooling loop.

Secondly, does my theory of 'less % of total power needed = less fan noise' make sense? Or am I just a poor and misguided child?!

Regards
Luke

Solution
In theory it works if the fan is temperature controlled which is on the Corsair RM. Will not even spin on low temps.
It is your decision though spending the money but will give you quieter operations.

Flightsimluke

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010

I believe you can use Corsair Link (integrated in the 1000W version) to monitor PSU temps, load and fan speeds - so if the case temperature was good (8x Yate 12's) then I may never have to hear my PSU again - even with a watercooling loop and dual 7970s I'm looking at 700W maximum.

MNorthstar

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013

Flightsimluke

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010

I understand what you're saying, but that article is over 4 years old, and in that time I believe that technology may have advanced. The Corsair RM750 appears to be getting very favourable reviews - silent up to 600w load, then inaudible from more than a foot at 750w - the fan spins up to a max of 900rpm.

Professional reviewers today subtract from their scoring on PSU's if they are not modular. It was a concern in the beginning but has been proven wrong.
We live with modular electricity with appliances and equipment plugged into wall sockets.

MNorthstar

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013

I see. Thanks for the info.