Question Worth selling a laptop for a PC?

Feb 27, 2019
1. What Is Your Country Of Origin?
Spain

2. What do you plan to do with this monitor? (ex. Games, Movie Watching, Photo Editing, etc.)
Gaming and watching videos.

3. What resolution and screen size do you want?
27inch 1440p

4. What refresh rate do you want? (ex. 60 hz , 70 hz.)
144hz/165hz OC

5. How much are you looking to spend?
£470 maximum

6. Brands Preferred (ex. Samsung, Acer, Asus, AOC, HP, Viewsonic, etc. )
Asus or Acer

7. Brands Not Preferred (state reason why)
N/A

8. Are You Buying More Than One Monitor?
No, I am buying just one external.

9. How Many Displays Can Your GPU Support Maximum? And what GPU and driver version are you using if applicable?
4 monitors. GTX 1070 and driver version 419.17. Yes.

10. What Port Do You Want To Connect To (ex. DVI-D, HDMI, etc).
I need a mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort .

11. Is This Monitor A Primary Display Or A Secondary Display?
It will be my primary display.

12. Is This A Secondary Display For A Laptop?
Yes.

I created this post because I would like that someone can help me to recommend me what would be the better choice.

I am planning to buy a new external monitor with 1440p 165hz 27inch and a new keyboard for the laptop but I do not know if it is worth doing it in this way or just buy a new PC with similar specs of the laptop and upgrade it in 2-3 years. I don't know if it has the power to reach 144hz on a 1440p monitor either.

I am confused because these days gaming laptops overheat a lot while you are playing games and a component can be damaged easily for that overheat. So, that's the reason I do not know if sell the laptop and buy a new PC instead.

Laptop specs:

- NOTEBOOK: 15.6" Full HD, (1920X1080) G-SYNC eDP Wide View Angle w/ Programmable RGB Keyboard

• INTEL® Core™ i7-7700 Quad Core 3.60 GHz 8MB Cache LGA1151 + HD Graphics
  • 16GB RAM DDR4
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 DDR5
  • HDD: 1TB 5400RPM SATA III Hard Drive
  • MOTHERBOARD: Mobile Intel Z170 Chipset

Games I play:

Killing Floor 2
Left4dead 2
CS:GO
Batman: Arkham Knight
Fornite
Call of Duty: World War II
GTFO (upcoming game)
Cyberpunk 2077 (upcoming game)
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (upcoming game)

Is worth it? If not I stay with the laptop and wait 2-3 years before buying a new PC. Thanks for the help.

Feb 27, 2019
I am not really "up" on pricing in Spain, or demand for second hand laptops....in US you could readily spend $800 plus on just the PC itself to make those specs without the monitor and other peripherals.

Hello there,

I forgot to mention that I live in UK now.
I bought this laptop two years ago at £1224. I do not know if I should buy the external monitor for the laptop or just buy a new PC with similar specs including the monitor. What can i do?

Just be aware that you are buying more monitor than what that laptop is capable of supporting, not to say that it isn't compatible, because it is. The laptop and desktop(more so with the laptop)1070 with a 7700 won't consistently reach 144FPS across all games so this new monitor is being purchased with longevity in mind. A 2080/ 9700K is what I would purchase these days to support a monitor with those specs.

Reactions: Hattori46
Feb 27, 2019
Just be aware that you are buying more monitor than what that laptop is capable of supporting, not to say that it isn't compatible, because it is. The laptop and desktop(more so with the laptop)1070 with a 7700 won't consistently reach 144FPS across all games so this new monitor is being purchased with longevity in mind. A 2080/ 9700K is what I would purchase these days to support a monitor with those specs.
Thank you for the tip. I was planning to buy a PC with similar specs as the laptop but I cannot afford for a RTX 2080 with 9700k. So, do you think is better I stay with the laptop or considering a lower resolution with 144hz with be good?

Thank you for the tip. I was planning to buy a PC with similar specs as the laptop but I cannot afford for a RTX 2080 with 9700k. So, do you think is better I stay with the laptop or considering a lower resolution with 144hz with be good?

A 1070 Ti can handle that resolution but it can't sustain a consistent 144FPS so I would find one with maybe a 75Hz refresh rate.

Reactions: Hattori46
Feb 27, 2019
A 1070 Ti can handle that resolution but it can't sustain a consistent 144FPS so I would find one with maybe a 75Hz refresh rate.

Hello there,

I think I am going to sell the laptop and save to buy the RTX 2080 with i7 9700k as you mentioned.

How much would a reasonable cost of the laptop with 2 years of use, no issues and no scratches with it?

Thanks for the help.

Feb 27, 2019
Hello. What's the make and model of the laptop?

Hello there,

It's called Fangbook 4 Xtreme. I think is not on the market anymore.

Gaming laptop specs:

- 15.6" Full HD, (1920X1080) G-SYNC eDP Wide View Angle w/ Programmable RGB Keyboard
-INTEL® Core™ i7-7700 Quad Core 3.60 GHz 8MB Cache LGA1151 + HD Graphics
16GB RAM DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 DDR5
HDD: 1TB 5400RPM SATA III Hard Drive
MOTHERBOARD: Mobile Intel Z170 Chipset

Thanks for the help.

Hello there,

It's called Fangbook 4 Xtreme. I think is not on the market anymore.

Gaming laptop specs:

- 15.6" Full HD, (1920X1080) G-SYNC eDP Wide View Angle w/ Programmable RGB Keyboard
-INTEL® Core™ i7-7700 Quad Core 3.60 GHz 8MB Cache LGA1151 + HD Graphics
16GB RAM DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 DDR5
HDD: 1TB 5400RPM SATA III Hard Drive
MOTHERBOARD: Mobile Intel Z170 Chipset

Thanks for the help.

I'm not seeing any listing on eBay. I would look to third party seller sold listing(s) to help give you an idea of selling price. Look to other laptops sold that have the same hardware.

Where are you getting those specs from? It reads like a desktop model until the motherboard.

Feb 27, 2019
I'm not seeing any listing on eBay. I would look to third party seller sold listing(s) to help give you an idea of selling price. Look to other laptops sold that have the same hardware.

Where are you getting those specs from? It reads like a desktop model until the motherboard.

Hello there,

Sorry for the time but I think I am going to keep the laptop as the other guy mentioned above buying a 1080p 144hz external monitor. I will keep it for 1-2 years and then buy a new PC around that time.

Thanks for your time and help. I really appreciate it.