Worth the upgrade from I5 4670k to an I7 4790k for gaming for $70?

brandonjbgaming

Honorable
Jun 9, 2018
My friend is selling his i7 4790k which is a few years old for $70. Currently I have an i5 4670k which is also a few years old. I was wondering if it is worth the $70 for the upgrade for gaming. Thank you!

Solution
For just $70 it's a small upgrade, don't expect miracles, you'll see little or no improvement in older titles because they only use 1 or 2 cores, but a little more in modern, better threaded titles that can use the i7s Hyperthreading.
Also check your motherboard will accept the i7, IT is the Devils Canyon update of your own Haswell CPU, a BIOS flash may be required to support it.
And yes, as racksmith101 points out, you'll probably be able to recoup most of the cost by selling the current i5, although E-bay ( and its fees ) may not be the most cost effective way.
For just $70 it's a small upgrade, don't expect miracles, you'll see little or no improvement in older titles because they only use 1 or 2 cores, but a little more in modern, better threaded titles that can use the i7s Hyperthreading.
Also check your motherboard will accept the i7, IT is the Devils Canyon update of your own Haswell CPU, a BIOS flash may be required to support it.
And yes, as racksmith101 points out, you'll probably be able to recoup most of the cost by selling the current i5, although E-bay ( and its fees ) may not be the most cost effective way.

Solution

brandonjbgaming

Honorable
Jun 9, 2018

I have an ASRock Z97 Pro3 Motherboard.