Question Worth the upgrade i7-7820x to i9-9900k

Hasan5164

Honorable
Dec 16, 2014
Hi,

Need expert advice, i am a Pc gamer,

i have a i7-7820x, 32GB ram, RTX 2080Ti, would it be worth the upgrade to go for i9-9900k

Thanks and Regards
Hasan

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You'd be looking at @ 10-30fps ish average in favor of the i9 depending on what you play, with some games hitting 40+.

Would it be worth it to upgrade? Couldn't say. That's a decision only you can make. You should be hitting @ 120fps+ now average, can you justify the $800+ for so few fps that you can't really tell anyways at those speeds?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Heck no! I also have a 7820x. Intel has nothing worth upgrading to right now.

Overclock that cpu a little, if you haven't already - which, by the way, you won't get very far on air! XD
Currently: NH-D15S, cpu delidded, no cache OC(yet!), 4.5ghz is the limit for this thing!

currently using 2560x1080 144Hz LG
With a 2080Ti?
Noooo~, another one...
You don't need a new cpu, you need a new monitor!

Last edited:
Reactions: dudeman509

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Userbenchmark doesn't tell the whole story. There's too many variables to go along with the cpu, such as OC, ram, etc that affect outputs by users.

You also end up running into the point of diminishing returns where the difference between #1 and #20 is a few fps that's either beyond the capacity of the monitor to see, or the human eye to differentiate. Most ppl have a very hard time telling the difference between 80 and 100fps, there's very few who can tell the difference between 100 and 120fps and almost nobody can see the difference in 120-150fps. It's a computer generated benchmark.

It's really not worth $1000+ to get an extra 3-5% performance boost that does nothing for the viewer except give bragging rights.

I own a i7-3770k and gtx970 that gets me above 60fps in everything I play on dual 1080p/60Hz monitors. What would any upgrade to faster cpu and better gpu get me. Exactly nothing but a benchmark saying my stuff was faster and an empty wallet.

I own a i7-3770k and gtx970 that gets me above 60fps in everything I play on dual 1080p/60Hz monitors. What would any upgrade to faster cpu and better gpu get me. Exactly nothing but a benchmark saying my stuff was faster and an empty wallet.

I had the same combo. Great rig, but it was starting to hold me back, even at 1080p/60Hz. Mine wasn't a good overclocker for whatever reason, maybe just due to age. I couldn't get it much over 4.2 without a considerable voltage bump.

Games like Rise of the Tomb Raider, BFV are noticeably smoother on a 1070ti/3700x. The 970 was really starting to show its age/VRAM limit in newer games; the 3770 for the most part still did pretty great at most things. It definitely surprised me how snappy and responsive the new system is, even at basic tasks like web browsing.

But swapping a 7820x to a 9900k? It's a good way to get rid of money for very little gain, I suppose.

Reactions: Phaaze88