[SOLVED] Worth the upgrade?

Hello fellow persons!

I am thinking of upgrading from i7 4790 to i5 9400f

Would you guys say it's worth it?

Games that i would like to play include, bannerlords, borderlands 3, outer worlds,etc

basically i am thinking of upgrading to make my pc ready for the next gen of games

(current gpu is a 1070)

Solution
1. I think the 9400f holds not much value over a 4790k, because its multiplier is locked and you lose ht. I would upgrade to at least a R5 3600 if you really want to see a benefit.

2. Suggesting someone with a working gtx 1070 an "upgrade" to a rtx 2060 is absolute non-sense. You got more or less the same compute power and LOSE 2gb vram.
I would not upgrade to anything under a 2070 super or Radeon 5700xt.

Irisena

Commendable
Oct 1, 2019
worth it. very worth it. you got access to DDR4, 2 more cores, higher clocks, etc. and games nowadays utilize 4+ core and thread so having high core count is beneficial. 1070 in my eye is good enough if you're targeting 1080p 60hz gaming. but if you want to shoot higher, then I suggest upgrade your GPU first.

Before changing anything, you should check the weakest part of your device. Download afterburner or similar and monitor the load of the cpu and gpu with the games you use.

If the weak part is the GPU, first go for a more powerful card.

If the weak part is the CPU you must change the mobo, the processor and the RAM. In this case, the relatively small increase of the i5-9400F may not compensate for the total expenditure and a better cpu should be considered (ryzen as intel)

Before changing anything, you should check the weakest part of your device. Download afterburner or similar and monitor the load of the cpu and gpu with the games you use.

If the weak part is the GPU, first go for a more powerful card.

If the weak part is the CPU you must change the mobo, the processor and the RAM. In this case, the relatively small increase of the i5-9400F may not compensate for the total expenditure and a better cpu should be considered (ryzen as intel)

I can see the merit of your suggestion, but i would only "futureproof" the cpu for now, i am still happy with my 1070

In all honesty there is nothing i can't play with my setup atm, but i could sell my old mobo/ram/cpu while is still holds some value

given the recommended specs of some newer games out there i figured it's time to look for an upgrade

So i'm scouting ahead for what would make a worthwhile upgrade (cpu wise)

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
1. I think the 9400f holds not much value over a 4790k, because its multiplier is locked and you lose ht. I would upgrade to at least a R5 3600 if you really want to see a benefit.

2. Suggesting someone with a working gtx 1070 an "upgrade" to a rtx 2060 is absolute non-sense. You got more or less the same compute power and LOSE 2gb vram.

Reactions: King_V
Solution

Thanks for your answer

i have also been eyeing the 3600, it looks good on paper, but it seems to be plagued by issues;
Ram support, not boosting to the advertised ghz, runs too hot with the supplied cooler, etc

Guess i'll wait untill these get ironed out and go for that one

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
Thanks for your answer

i have also been eyeing the 3600, it looks good on paper, but it seems to be plagued by issues;
Ram support, not boosting to the advertised ghz, runs too hot with the supplied cooler, etc

Guess i'll wait untill these get ironed out and go for that one

thats not completely true, so far ive had friends upgrade to 3600x on release and they are happy no issues what so ever. for me the "problem" with 3rd gen ryzen is due to the user it self, its certainly not entry level friendly since you would want to update BIOS and all that if ever you run into hiccups but you can always let a computer repair shop do it for a small fee.

for the cooler any stock cooler will have a hard time cooling a CPU outside of its intended use. the 9400f doesnt even come with a cooler so youll be spending like 30-40usd for it anyway.

but in the end its your choice but personally id recommend the 3600/3600x to anyone who has a limited budget and want a great pc experience in 2019.

and by looking at how games and stuff progress i wont be surprised that 6 cores will have a hard time sooner than expected (9400f has no HT so you just get 6 cores).

Reactions: Quanticriver

Irisena

Commendable
Oct 1, 2019
Actually, Palit is a legit brand that circulates on asia. I have friends with palit cards and it worked OK. I have no problem with the brand, as it's definitely not a no-name chinese knock-off, but the price is kind of fishy i must say. Well, it's ebay anyway, if you find it defective, you can return it. so yeah, you can give it a shot if you want.

Thank you for all your answers

I will drop the i5 9400f idea and I will upgrade to the 3600(non x) in the forseeable future

Maybe i can snag a bundle on blackfriday/blue monday or xmas offerings

Another question regarding the 3600

Would you say it's worth getting the 570 mobo's?

(pci 4 and all that)

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
Thank you for all your answers

I will drop the i5 9400f idea and I will upgrade to the 3600(non x) in the forseeable future

Maybe i can snag a bundle on blackfriday/blue monday or xmas offerings

Another question regarding the 3600

Would you say it's worth getting the 570 mobo's?

(pci 4 and all that)
I personally was asking myself the same question recently and got a used b450-i strix instead. x570 is worth it if you want to spent the money on a pci-e 4.0 drive, that you really dont need at the moment. For content creators it maybe makes sense. For me as a consumer and gamer I could not justify the price. I dont use all that m.2 drives and pci-e lanes with my small rig.
For now I would go with a decend b450 board. Maybe get a msi max board with already compatible bios. Even the RAM overclocking is decend on that chipset.

Irisena

Commendable
Oct 1, 2019
However you can also go for rtx 2060
I don't think buying Turing cards right now is a good idea. There's a lot of leaks regarding Ampere cards will be released in first half of 2020 with Samsung 7nm EUV. Compared to current TSMC's 12nm Turing, I can imagine it would be one heck of a leap in performance, thermal, and power consumption. And not only that, Nvidia has now taken a lesson or two regarding ray tracing, and hopefully will correct it with Ampere. So yeah, I still would recommend to buy a ray tracing card, but not now if you can help it. GTX 1070 is still a great card, so no worries about upgrading your GPU now.