[SOLVED] Worth the upgrade?

Sep 25, 2020
Hello guys, first of all my computer specs are:
CPU: RYZEN 5 1600 stock
RAM: 8GB DRR4 2600mhz
MB: B350 pc mate
PSU: EVGA 500B bronze 500W
GPU: MSI Geforce 1050ti

My question is, is it worth upgrading gpu to the new GTX3070, as it is the perfect value card? I know I would have to upgrade my psu, also adding ram, but the main question is about my CPU? How bad bottlenecking would be? Would buying a better cooler and overclocking my cpu to like 4ghz would do the trick or I also need to look for cpu upgrade. I play in 1080p/144hz. Thanks in advance.

Solution
For a pure gaming rig, an i5 10600k is the best chip, for the money, right now. At 1080p, at the moment, yes, Intel is the way to go. 4th gen may or may not change that.

OP: Easy route, update bios, drop in a 3600, or maybe a 3700x, if you want to have those extra cores/threads for future games, and upgrade the monitor to a 1440p, or 4k. Make sure you get a quality PSU, and get a 2x8gb kit of DDR4 3200 speed ram. Doing so won't require a reinstall of windows, and less hassle as you can just keep your current motherboard.

If you want to change your platform entirely, wait for 4th gen results to come out, before you purchase.

poorbugger

Distinguished

My question is, is it worth upgrading gpu to the new GTX3070, as it is the perfect value card? I know I would have to upgrade my psu, also adding ram, but the main question is about my CPU? How bad bottlenecking would be? Would buying a better cooler and overclocking my cpu to like 4ghz would do the trick or I also need to look for cpu upgrade. I play in 1080p/144hz. Thanks in advance.
This depends on your games or your needs of the pc. Are you struggling to reach the performance that you desire in your games? If yes then yeah you'll need to upgrade. The jump from gtx 1050 ti to rtx 3070 will be huge and you'll need to upgrade every parts of your list if you wish to utilise the gpu completely.

DSzymborski

Titan

Wouldn't even be considering this upgrade unless the budget also contains room for a PSU upgrade as well.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
This depends on your games or your needs of the pc. Are you struggling to reach the performance that you desire in your games? If yes then yeah you'll need to upgrade. The jump from gtx 1050 ti to rtx 3070 will be huge and you'll need to upgrade every parts of your list if you wish to utilise the gpu completely.
That CPU will not suffice. Your best video card upgrade is a 1660 Ti. Any higher model and it will be a waiste of money as you will not get the frame rates you should get due to CPU bottleneck and what not.👽💯🤷‍♀️🖐🙈☮

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
What about, upgrading cpu to 5 3600 or 5 3600x?
Hey my friend Im sorry I'm not sugar coating Im just telling you the truth and giving you correct advice ya know. Where you are at we have all been there more so back int he hay day. So don't think lesser of yourself and what not. You know I must be honest again if your going to grab AMD then 3800x should be minimum. I mean your going to do this one time for many years to come, so might as well do it right. The 3600 is a great CPU but it is going to bottleneck you now and in the future if you upgarde your video card. The 3800x won't be a bottleneck and you will see frame rates fly as the GPU now is able to do it's thing and give you max frame rates and what not. Tell me your budget I will help you on your choice of what you want to do.💯☮🙈

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
The 3600 and the 3800x's gaming performance is nearly identical.
Your smart, I wasn't led to believe that. Probably looking at wrong benchmarks and what have you. Also this guy really seems to be into gaming so if I were him his choices are 9900KS 9700k 10700k and 10900k. These CPU's will give you much more FPS then a dingy 3600 chip with a crummy out of the box overclock since you can't really OC AMD CPU's much as they already come sorta at their limit.

logainofhades

Titan
For a pure gaming rig, an i5 10600k is the best chip, for the money, right now. At 1080p, at the moment, yes, Intel is the way to go. 4th gen may or may not change that.

OP: Easy route, update bios, drop in a 3600, or maybe a 3700x, if you want to have those extra cores/threads for future games, and upgrade the monitor to a 1440p, or 4k. Make sure you get a quality PSU, and get a 2x8gb kit of DDR4 3200 speed ram. Doing so won't require a reinstall of windows, and less hassle as you can just keep your current motherboard.

If you want to change your platform entirely, wait for 4th gen results to come out, before you purchase.

Solution
Depends on the games you play and how CPU limited they are. At 1080p though your cpu will likely hold back that 3070 from making full use of that nice 144MHz refresh rate on more CPU demanding titles, but not by alot. You could overclock that CPU to get more out of it, or if you refuse to overclock you can drop down the money for a new CPU, BIOS allowing of course. Overclocking your CPU by 10-15% may not seem like a lot, but if it's the difference is between 144fps and 129fps you may notice on that monitor. Of course I'm happy with a paltry 60fps but that's me

The bigger problem is your RAM. You need Faster RAM (especially if you overclock) and more of it. All those details and textures to make that GPU shine are generally gonna need more system ram as well. Having the same amount of VRAM as System RAM can give you odd experiences in some games.

Sep 25, 2020
Thank you all for replies, i decided to upgrade cpu and stick to amd, in my country ryzen 7 2700x is cheaper than ryzen 5 3600. I looked at the benchmarks and ryzen 5 3600 performs better at games, is that true?
ALSO: if Im picking up ryzen 5 3600 overclocking it, adding 2x8gb 3600 ram and putting in 3070,
what wattage psu I'm looking at? Would BE QUIET 600W 80plus would be enough?

Last edited: