worth upgrade to 2x512 DDR PC-3200 ?

rodr

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2005
Hey all

I have a pre-built sony vaio (i know..) which has 2 x 256 MB DDR-SDRAM PC-2700

I wanted to upgrade mayb to 2 x 512 MB PC-3200, such as the following

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820141437

but my question is, given my current speed of the 256 sticks, if i get the new ones should i run them all together or should i toss away the old ones.

I know if i run the together the new ones would have to run at the speed of the old ones, but will the extra 512 be worth that reduced speed?

At any case, would i notice a significant difference?

I think im running my current ones at 2.5 V and the new ones run at 2.6V, should i look for something at 2.5V? such as this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145440

its practically the same thing..

any comments will be apreciated, thx!

Mondoman

Splendid
Yes, go with 2.5V memory, as you likely cannot change the memory voltage in your computer. However, I'd suggest going with a different value brand like ValueRAM, since while Corsair makes top-notch premium RAM, its ValueSelect is just contracted out to the (often-changing) cheapest bidder and suffers in quality because of that.
Go ahead and install all 4 DIMMs and see if it's better or worse than just installing your 2 new DIMMs.

rodr

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2005
i cant, im going to buy everything in one week or so, i dont live in the US.

Would the crucial that i mentioned earlier be ok? ( not valueram) or can you recommend me something else

Mondoman

Splendid
I personally would not buy the ValueSelect brand due to past bad experiences I've had; YMMV. You might want to check other vendors such as zipzoomfly.com, frys.com, buy.com, amazon.com, ncix.com, or whatever is available to you.

rodr

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2005
ok man last post, sorry.

considering that i have a pre-built

would you buy a ValueRam at 2.6V or something at 2.6 V thats not ValueRam.

thanks

Mondoman

Splendid
You pretty much have to go with 2.5V if your BIOS won't let you change the memory voltage (and I strongly suspect yours will not). You've got to look at what RAM is available to you and decide from that.

TRENDING THREADS