Question Worth Upgrading an i5 4570 to an i7 4770?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadialJman

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
I know this hardware is kind of old but I can get an i7 4770 for 90 euro from a friend was wondering if its worth the upgrading my i5 4570? I have an rx 480 but its starting to feel a bit sluggish. I use my pc for youtube editing/gaming.

I am also thinking of getting a gtx 1070 if I do upgrade the cpu. I need a beefier system but don't really have enough money to buy a whole new pc.

Thanks a lot!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's a yes and no question. The i7 is not really any different from the i5, except for the hyperthreading. That's only a bonus to software that actually benefits from 5-8 threads vrs 1-4 of the i5. In most cases its more of a sideways move, not an upgrade.

And €90 is a lot of money for a cpu with somewhat limited applicable gains. I'm seeing eBay prices of @ €50 to €350

That said, more and more games are looking for higher threads, even esports can get heavily cpu bound with huge server drops. Depending on what software used for editing, obs or NVENC (I'd suggest NVENC if aiming for a good card (2060 is cheaper than a 1070, similar performance), it may not even affect the cpu needs.

You aren't going backwards, same starting level, but only you can say if the €90 will be worth it.

Reactions: RodroX
A lot of editing programs can utilize the 8 threads of the 4770, so the I7 will perform better than the I5.
A lot of modern games can benefit from the 4770.

It is an upgrade in many scenarios and at worst performs the same.

I would try to haggle them down on price tho.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Games I've played and tested with HT on vs off.

Gta5
Farcry4, Primal, 5, ND
Dying Light
Ghost Recon WL
Doom 2016

With a 1080Ti (1440p), all these games were in the high 95+ cpu usage with HT off and lost between 10~20 fps except for Doom. Doom's frame rates remained about the same but had mini pauses every few minutes with cpu pegged on 100%.

Imho HT, well in my case, has been great to have.

Reactions: RodroX and Chrushop

Chrushop

Prominent
Mar 2, 2019
You can usually sell the 4590 for some cash on facebook or wherever you sell stuff. Getting an i7 will let you delay buying a whole new rig that much longer, get a new cooler if you have an Intel Stock cooler too, it will feel much better

Sep 11, 2019
well my answer is go for an i7 4790, i had a simillar upgrade yo urs. i went from an i5 4460 to i7 4790 it is such a good cpu also get a used one they go for pretty cheap. dont get i7 4770 get i7 4790 or if u want overclock get i7 4790k

well my answer is go for an i7 4790, i had a simillar upgrade yo urs. i went from an i5 4460 to i7 4790 it is such a good cpu also get a used one they go for pretty cheap. dont get i7 4770 get i7 4790 or if u want overclock get i7 4790k

the i7 4790 is only 3% better then a i7 4770, and is being sold at hugely inflated prices

@ OP

i'd do the upgrade but whittle the price down a bit - you should notice the performance boost in more recent games

Sep 11, 2019
just remember that k(overclock) is where u have to be careful when buying a 2nd hand cpu they coulve abused this fragile piece of hardware. pushing it to maximum clock, over heat/high temperatures and 24/7 USE.

Sep 11, 2019
problem with ebay too is u get retarded buyers who put the highest bid in and win ur item u wait a couple hours, then days then u know u have a buyer who just ruined ur whole listing it's up to u, i would sell the i5 4570 and go for the i7 4770 or i7 4790k price difference between the i7 4770 and i7 4790 is WAY to much for the performance improvement, i would go for the i7 4790k if ur mobo can boost ur gaming experience. but remember that k(overclock) is where u have to be careful when buying a 2nd hand cpu they coulve abused this fragile piece of hardware. pushing it to maximum clock, over heat/high temperatures and 24/7 USE.

i7 4770 the price gap between the i7 4790 is way to big considering the performance of 3% i guess the i7 4790k would be a better choice?

No the i7 4770 is the better choice

the i7 4790 is being sold for way too much

Also the i7 4790(k) runs notoriously hot, you would need a very decent cooler too keep it in check
Further upping your cost

i have a i7 4790 myself and can confirm

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Item originates from China, highly probable it's fake. Different card with vbios flashed to appear as a 1070Ti. Won't know for sure until it's in you system and verified with gpuz.

Knowing many fake cards come from China, i wouldn't risk it.

Card itself looks legitimate, but everything else looks suspect.

The price is way too low. The card also ships from china. Also the description is very short.

I personally wouldnt buy it.

although you can buy it and then use ebays guarentee to return if fake.

Status
Not open for further replies.