Worth upgrading from 2GB to 4 GB?

p3matty

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
With RAM prices so low, I though I'd at least ask the question. When I pieced together my build about 6-12 months ago, 2 GB was the "standard" for a 32-bit OS. I don't plan on upgrading my OS yet, as with the OEM 32-bit version of Vista, I found you need to buy a whole new 64 OS if you want to upgrade. As I don't want to spend another $125, I'm staying with 32 bit.

That being the case, and already having 2 GB (2x1GB) Corsair 5-5-5-18 RAM, it is worth getting another 2x1GB kit? I know the computer will only see about 3.5 GB of it, but is the extra ~1.5GB going to give me any improvement in anything? Will using 4 sticks over 2 hinder any performance or overclockability of the system? I've currently got a E2140 OCed to 2.66 (333x8) on a P5K-E / WIFI-AP. Thanks for any insight you might have.

antas

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
Well, this is kinda 'classic' issue :)

For me it would be depend on your need: the first thing to consider is your average memory usage. Let's say that you're doing some image editing with average mem usage like 1 GB. Then you don't really need to upgrade to 4GB. But let's say that your average is something like 1.8GB, then more RAM will help.

For VISTA, I read that 4GB (actual ~3.5GB) will help over 2GB. But I don't want to start flame on this :D

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
4GB will help with:

-Heavy multitasking
-Running virtual machines
-Video encoding, 3D-rendering, CAD, and heavy graphics work

No single application can access more than 2GB, keep that in mind if you thought you could devote like 3 GB to a game to improve performance.

That said, the prices are dirt cheap right now, you might as well.

I'm not sure how 4 modules will affect your over-clocking. You will pull more voltage from your PSU, but I don't know how that would affect you.

p3matty

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
And kinda a secondary question to this.....would I have to get another 2 GB kit with the same timings as the first set? I mean, can I have one 2 GB kit with CAS5 timings, and another with CAS4 timings? I don't think I can with this (or any other) board, or am I wrong on that?

I mean, for $28, I can get another 2 GB of CAS5. This is what I think I should get.

For $34, I can get another 2 GB of CAS4. Can I get this and mix it with the 2GB CAS5 I already have?

For $74, I can get a new 4 GB kit of CAS5. Going this route I can swap out the two sticks I have with these 2, but I don't really want to spend this much if the gain is only minimal.

Maximus_Delta

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
You could just drop in the $28 extra 2GB CAS5. I've done some testing and I see no difference in performance at all with CAS4 vs CAS5. Think it's widely accepted that on recent CPU's with big L2 caches and a fast FSB that CAS4 vs CAS5 equals less than 2% of something speed increase (sorry don't have ref to article I read). Can't set the MB to CAS4 on 2 banks and CAS5 on the other 2 banks as far as I know... never seen that.

You won't see much improvement in performance, games certainly don't need more than 2GB presently. I've got 2GB, use my PC for games and typical stuff and never see it getting short on memory.

But... if your going to keep the MB a while, eventually upgrade to Vista, then why not pick up an extra 2GB at 28 bucks. So cheap right now and don't want to wait until you really do need it and it's scare with DDR3 the mainstream.

Will affect over-clocking in the sense that you will be limited to the max speed that all 4 will support. Before it was the weaker of the 2 that limited it, now it will be the weaker of the 4. But unless your really clocking up to the limit then this shouldn't be an issue... my ram is at 866mhz for example to support 3.46Ghz. I've had this memory at 900mhz to support 3.6Ghz, and 933mhz to support 3.72Ghz no probs, so can be pretty confident if I get the same again the 2 new sticks will run the 866mhz fine - which is the setting for the overclock I use 24/7.

p3matty

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I already have Vista, just the 32 bit version of it. I thought I saw somewhere that using 4 sticks instead of 2 might limit the overclocking capabilities of the MB and CPU. I have no idea if that's really the case or not.

I'm going to get the same type of memory I guess, Corsair XMS CAS5, 800mhz 2GB kit. I think I'm running the memory at the stock 800, though. my FSB is at 333, but I think I'm running some divider (5/6) that still has the memory at 800.

Maximus_Delta

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
I can't say I know whether 4 sticks instead of 2 will limit the over-clocking capabilities of the MB... pretty sure that unless you are clocking right up to the limit it should be okay. Would like to know the definitive answer to that though.

Yes you have the divider. Could set your FSB to 400 and then the divider to 1:1 and you've got a decent CPU overclock with RAM at stock speeds. I am pretty sure I have the same memory you have - Corsair XMS2, CAS5, 2GB Kit. Have you got the volts set to 1.9v - that's the standard voltage on these. To get 900mhz I found they need 2.0v to get 100% stability. The RAM is under warranty up to 2.1v.

Thinking of doing exactly the same thing as you, dropping in another 2GB of the same again. It's decent memory and great value at the moment.