Worth upgrading from 970SLI to TitanXP?

timf79

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
The games i mostly play are DOTA2 and X-plane 11.
The latter does not support SLI and I can't run it on 3 screens smoothly.
The way I see it the next Nvidia flagship (2080Ti or Titan Y) will be 1+ years out.

Hence I was wondering if it's worth going from 970SLI to the Titan XP?

Solution
Titan Xp shows available direct from Nvidea for $1200 with free shipping. Of course they do limit it to two per customer.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/titan/titan-xp/

Co BIY

Splendid
My understanding is that X-Plane 11 is mostly CPU dependent. What Processor are you running ?

If you have the money to pay the premium (which isn't that much given the current market) I would say it's worth it.

Hopefully you are able to write off the X-plane gaming rig (I mean professional level FAA-equivalent flight training system.) as a professional training expense.

Devroolz

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016
Hi mate! I don't think so.

If I were you, I would wait for the 2080 (non Ti), which will outperform the Titan XP at (almost) half the price... and you won't need to wait a year to get one (april 2018?).

Anyway, if you can wait for the 2080 Ti... I think it will worth it if you plan to play games at 4K.

I have an i7 8700K paired with a GTX 1080 Ti and an ultrawide monitor (ASUS PG348Q, 3440x1440, 100 Hz) and my card can't handle all games at maximum settings at that resolution (Ghost Recon Wildlands, Final Fantasy XV, etc.).

WildCard999

Titan

I meant if they can find the 1080 ti for around $800.

Just on this, they list the 1080Ti at $699, but instead of add to cart, it says "Notify me", does anyone have any idea how long you would need to wait?

timf79

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
I ordered the Titan XP from Nvidia as it was in stock.
I had the notifier for the 1080TI and once got an e-mail the had stock and then within 7 minutes of the mail checked and it was sold-out again.

This left me with ~1,200+ for a 1080Ti or 1,200 for a Titan XP.

I am not sure when the 2080 (non Ti) will be readily available or if it will be faster than the titan XP.
Last time around it took the 1080Ti to take the performance crown and it became readily available a good year after Pascal release.
Which believing current rumors, means no 2080TI until Mid 2019.

I plan on running X-Plane on 3 screens
1 HD
1 4k
1 HD

Hence the card has to push the equivalent of 8k

timf79

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Interesting update:placed the order when Titan XP was in stock, got an order confirmation that indicated shipping in 1-2 business days.
Now 3 business days later, I called and was told it is out of stock and would ship when available, but no one was able to tell me when this would be.
Given the fact that I was already charged the amount, I requested a refund....
The way I see it:

stay away from the Nvidia store

Co BIY

Splendid
That's discouraging. I guess we can add Titan Xp (does that stand for eXtra price?) to those cards effected by the mining craze.

"Do I hear a bid for the Titan V ? 3000, 3000, 3000"

You would think accurate inventory for website orders (especially on SKUs that retail for $1200) would be "no brainer" for one of the world's greatest computing companies.

Can you describe your X-plane rig and what you do with it. I have an interest in Flight Sim but it's a shallow interest that I have currently satisfied with Microsoft Flight and War Thunder.

I think my ultimate might be an extreme sport sim that modeled Ultralight flight but with extreme graphics for immersion.

timf79

Distinguished
May 10, 2011

So, to make matters worse, the "customer service" told me to order when the card is back in stock. Which was a few minutes after the call. This time I chose a different payment method (direct via credit card), as this way I should not be charged prior to shipping or if they do I can decline it with the credit card company without canceling the order.

I have been skydiving for 2 years and decided to now get my private pilots certificate. In order to aid with flight training I use Xplane. Ideally you want to take real lessons more than on the weekend, but working full time, makes this difficult for me. Besides that some maneuvers can be practiced great on a simulator by yourself as crashing the plane in Xplane is not nearly as bad as in real life.
In order to get a good view I use 3 screens (2 x HD (L/R) and 1x 4k (center)), For controls I have the Logitech set-up with Yoke, Pedals, levers, 1 instrument panes (as some things are hard to see on the screen) 1 switch panel, I pair this with my galaxy s3 tablet on which I run Garmin Pilot in simulator mode.
I have been thinking about a VR headset, however the problem is that, AFAIK they are not AR and hence I would not be able to use the proper flight controls

Co BIY

Splendid

Sounds like a very nice set up. What kind of computer hardware are you running ? Processor, amount of ram ect.

timf79

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Update on my NVidia order:
Got a e-mail from NVidia after I complained on their page. Ins hort it sated:
Please order the card when it shows in stock and then we will ship the card.
Well, please note I ordered the card when shown in stock first time on 02/18 and when it was not shipped an no anticipated shipping date on 2/21 i canceled.
The same day it showed as in stock again and I placed another order (now directly via credit card).
Now a week alter 2/18 the card has not shipped, no info provided and status shows as "processing shipping in 1-2 business days" (same status since 1/21).
The card has shown as available since 1/21 on multiple occasions.

Overall I can confirm that Nvidia customer service is horribly unqualified and useless. Unfortunately there is no alternate way of sourcing a reasonable priced GPU right now

I know this would really piss me off, but I'm the type of person who gets all excited about any new hardware I've just ordered, so such a long wait would be torture. Anyway, good luck with it.

timf79

Distinguished
May 10, 2011

Sorry, I thought it was in my profile:
i7-4790k; Asus Z91-Pro AC WiFi; 32GB DDR3-2400; RAID 10 w 500GB Evo 850; 2 x Asus Strix 970 Ti SLI

Co BIY

Splendid
Did Nvidia direct sales finally come through for you?

Although you had hassles I think getting the card at MSRP within a couple of weeks would be considered a win for many people right now.

Unable to hit full detail. - I guess you shouldn't have gone cheap and passed up the Titan V. (LOL)

Is it better than 970 Ti SLI ?