[SOLVED] Worth upgrading from 980ti to 1660ti or 2060?

Solution
Wow this all got out of hand.
From what I can see 1660Ti is on par w/ the 980Ti if not slightly better in some areas vs others.

I'm mainly looking to game, on ultra, 144hz, take advantage of freesync/gsync, and reduce the heat that the 980Ti puts out.

In the RTX line, I would go for 2070 at least to make it a noticable upgrade.
Yes your performance boost would be substantial. personally i use the 1660ti in my workstation i don't maintain most of the things at work but i can tell when i'm using the rendering portion of this gpu it's amazing and from what i understand from my co worker it's better graphics then his 2060 however slower it's better graphics

Reactions: garrettk4

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Yes your performance boost would be substantial. personally i use the 1660ti in my workstation i don't maintain most of the things at work but i can tell when i'm using the rendering portion of this gpu it's amazing and from what i understand from my co worker it's better graphics then his 2060 however slower it's better graphics

No.. The 1660 ti does not have better graphics than the 2060, its a lower end card.

The 1660 ti is not really an upgrade over the 980 ti.

The 2060 is a small upgrade, a 2070 would be a better bet.

Last edited:
The question was not whether it's a good card, but whether it would be a good upgrade over their 980 Ti. The 980 Ti was one of the highest performance cards available when it launched a few years back. Now, the 1660 Ti brings that level of performance (or slightly more) to a more accessible price point. That's good, but the performance gains over the card they already have would be minimal, so for them, it wouldn't be a particularly worthwhile upgrade. A 2060 would be a little faster, but I'm not sure even that would be fast enough compared to the card they have to justify the cost of the upgrade.

The question was not whether it's a good card, but whether it would be a good upgrade over their 980 Ti. The 980 Ti was one of the highest performance cards available when it launched a few years back. Now, the 1660 Ti brings that level of performance (or slightly more) to a more accessible price point. That's good, but the performance gains over the card they already have would be minimal, so for them, it wouldn't be a particularly worthwhile upgrade. A 2060 would be a little faster, but I'm not sure even that would be fast enough compared to the card they have to justify the cost of the upgrade.
Again i have used 2 of all three cards one in my work station the other in my pc and according to my co-worker who has the 2060. In my eye's "FROM SOMEONE who's used both the 980ti and the 1660ti it's worth the upgrade and according to my coworker the 2060 is a good upgrade... He said of you want a cleaner picture he recommends the 1660ti because even though it's slower it has better graphics... The 2060 is faster but he said you notice a little more blurring if you dont have a monitor made for high frames.

garrettk4 Going from a GTX 980 Ti to a GTX 1660 Ti is a lateral upgrade; no appreciable improvement in FPS. However, your GPU's TDP would decrease from 250 to 120 watts. Also, the GTX 1660 Ti would support G-Sync on a Freesync display, because of it's Pascal Turing architecture, while the 980 Ti would not (Maxwell architecture).

RTX 2060 may offer 10% more FPS than the GTX 980 Ti/1660 Ti, but that will vary depending on the game. If none of these reasons are compelling enough for you upgrade, then may i suggest that you wait for AMD's
announcement of Navi next month? Even if you're not interested in the AMD architecture, odds are that Nvidia will either release a competing product or lower prices of existing products.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captaingadget
Last edited:
Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Correct me If I'm wrong, but isn't the GTX 1660 Ti based on the TURING Architecture instead, but without dedicated RT and TENSOR cores ?
Yes thats the generalizations...
He said of you want a cleaner picture he recommends the 1660ti because even though it's slower it has better graphics... The 2060 is faster but he said you notice a little more blurring if you dont have a monitor made for high frames.

This is not actually a thing. You for hrs i thought that and argued that till i went to his place and he showed me that the rtx cards basically NEED 144hz monitior it may just be his but... When his rtx 2060 is on a monitior with only 60hz it looks like crap really but the second you set it to 144hz amazing picture it's amazing the difference it made.

Lol let's just put it this way people it all depends on you and your machines.... My brothers pc is a am2+ with a 3 sli,ed 900series gpu's and 16gb ddr2 ram and get's 200 fps epic settings in overwatch better than my am3+ 980ti 32gb ram if you know how to setup a machine and program you can have a complete pile of crap run better then any new junk out today

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
w.a.d.

Personal anecdotal claims have zero relevance.

Your friend has no idea what he's talking about, and apparently has mixed-and-matched what he thinks the GPU is responsible for vs what the monitor is responsible for.

The RTX 2060 offers a little bit of performance increase over the 980Ti. That performance difference is not enough to justify the price of the RTX 2060.
The GTX 1660Ti offers approximately the same performance as the 980Ti.

Both consume much less power than the 980Ti.

Neither give better graphical quality over the 980Ti.

If you change monitors, you're now comparing image quality of the monitors, not the graphics cards.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Hooker
Thats just it we didnt switch monitors we just switched the hz he dropped it from 144hz to 60hz and instantly his display goes blurry... Not supper blurry just like blurry to the point that it's like it really cant keep up with frame that are being pushed out. It's almost like it's jumping throigh frames instead of flowing through frames

And i love how all of you keep telling me "someone who has both gpu's that the 1660ti provides no mpre frames then the 980ti... Again i have both one in my actual home ' work pc 980ti, and actual workstations pc... And the 1660ti provides at the least 50fps more then the 980ti at work i will be pushing 230fps rendering projects go home to finish the project after work and the same project only avging 180ish

That is comparing one refresh rate on a card to a different refresh rate on the same card, which is useless for the question asked by the OP.

You said nothing about settings, Vsync enabled, whether FreeSync or GSync were in use, etc. This is all completely irrelevant and misleading for the OP's request.
I had said nothing about gsync or anyof that because that wasnct the question all of you trolls are just that trolls all he asked is of it is worth the updgrade he never said whether he cares about gsync or any of that... And yes the 1660ti is worth the upgrade whether or not you are using the gsync feature. You still will have a card thats going to be supported for further updates down the line and other variables. People focusing on just the little points... There honestly is no right or wrong answer on any of these cards.... It's honestly at this point matter of opinions, 980ti older great quality, 1660ti newer will be supported longer has many features 980ti doesn't, 2060 a little better performance then 1660ti using new technologies... Avg fps 980ti my just 1hr ago 197fps, workstation 1660ti gsync enabled 214fps avg, friends 2060 gsync enabled 220ish fps avg.

garrettk4

Honorable
May 31, 2012
Guess I should have said this in the beginning. Sorry!

Recently acquired a 144hz 1080p freesync monitor from Dell. Don't remember the model # but I was looking to enable freesync on it, which I can't do with the 980Ti.
I also am not looking to spend over $350 for a GPU at the moment. Although I did get the 980Ti for $100 back in 17 :)

Guess I should have said this in the beginning. Sorry!

Recently acquired a 144hz 1080p freesync monitor from Dell. Don't remember the model # but I was looking to enable freesync on it, which I can't do with the 980Ti.
I also am not looking to spend over $350 for a GPU at the moment. Although I did get the 980Ti for $100 back in 17 :)
Then i and my co worker both recommend the 2060 at 144hz as his is amazing quality. We both love the speed and rendering of the 2060 with gsync enabled the 1660ti has a little more cutting to it with gsync enable... Not much but noticeable sorry to cause drama on your post im just tired of trolls if you havent had experience using something and going off of what you read then mind your own bees wax... I have used all three and yes there is actually a difference in picture quality between every card thats the point of them continuously releasing new cards they get better and better picture quality over time dont believe me then go back to a gtx 270 and tell me theres no picture diffrenece between cards.

Reactions: garrettk4

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
No, there is not an image quality difference between the 1660 Ti and the 2060, assuming you're using the same settings (except maybe if you're using ray tracing or DLSS). As already said, the reason you saw more blurring with the 2060 is that you changed the monitor to 60 Hz, compared to the 144 Hz you had with the 1660 Ti.

Edit: There shouldn't be any image quality difference with the 980 Ti either.

Last edited:
As already said, the reason you saw more blurring with the 2060 is that you changed the monitor to 60 Hz, compared to the 144 Hz you had with the 1660 Ti.

Edit: There shouldn't be any image quality difference with the 980 Ti either.
Your bring an irrelevant topic back up... Yes i was corrected on that blurring portion... Thats however not what im refering to here.... Yes there is a graphical quality difference between all cards. YOU CAN ARGUE THIS WITH ME ALL DAY but at this point it's irrelevant talk to any manufacturing company of the gpu's... Each generation of graphocs cards each series of gpu have different rendering abilities than others no gpu will ever have the same graphical display as the other.... Even if you pair a 2060 in exact same build with another 2060 if you had super human sight you would notice graphical differences there nothing will ever run the exact same as another it all depends on the freaking user

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yes there is a graphical quality difference between all cards. YOU CAN ARGUE THIS WITH ME ALL DAY

Don't bring in false, and unhelpful, in this case, couterproductive, info. This is not something you can prove or reliably demonstrate in a repeatable fashion.

Believe what you want to believe. Don't present it here as fact.

Don't bring in false, and unhelpful, in this case, couterproductive, info. This is not something you can prove or reliably demonstrate in a repeatable fashion.

Believe what you want to believe. Don't present it here as fact.
..... Look at nvidia look at msi look at asus gpus...... Every brand runs differently every manufacture has there own program every board is made by machine nothing is perfect... Anything and everything can and will affect your card... Hense why some gpus are doa's machines mess up humans mess up nothing will ever be perfect or the exact same no matter what you tell me you can believe what you want but sitting here tellong me im a moron basically and that i have no idea what im talking is just stupidity on your part.... If a circuit on the board is off just by a hair on a gpu during the manufacturing of the card can cause the card to run slower than other cards out of the exact same line... You are arguing with someone who design's circuit boards for a living. I have made several circuit boards for different things, one slight alteration can screw the whole thing up... Like circuit's for a relay switch. I can sodar it one way for it to be a single relay or add one little sodar line and make a dual relay.... Literally no card is the exact same bro if you really want to get into depth about it... I can even alter a sodar and make it have more of a delay to it.... Just one slight mistake is all it takes for there to be a longer delay from the exact same model products