Worth upgrading from a 4670k over @4.4GHz?

SamF18

Reputable
Apr 5, 2016
Hello everyone,

I was thinking about upgrading my CPU and my mobo this year, but I'm not sure if it's worth it or not.
Here's my current config:
- i5 4670k OC @4.4GHz (on air, super stable)
- Asrock Z87 extreme 6
- 16 gb ram (can't remember what it is, but it's midrange, maybe 1600)
- EVGA GX 1070 FTW

I use the computer for gaming (and web browsing...), and I'm looking at upgrading the CPU and the MoBo (I believe upgrading the CPU alone is not worth it), but I don't want to spend too too much (maybe $400-500), and I'm afraid that it may not be worth it as of now, as the new cpus in this price range (including the mother board) may be pretty close to the one I already have in terms of gaming performance.
If it's not worth it at all, I may save the bucks to buy a better monitor (ideally a 1440p @144Hz, as long as my system can accommodate).

Any advice is more than welcome! Thank you for taking the time to read my message,

Sam

Solution
I'd have to agree with everyone, I wouldn't upgrade unless you do notice the CPU being pushed to 100% quite often, If so then I'd just get an i7 4790k or save up and wait to see how the coffee lake is going to be, I heard something of an i5 6 core which might be interesting but of course you will need to upgrade RAM, motherboard. The Haswell CPU's are still very relevant for gaming, if you are happy with its performance then I wouldn't even waste my time with an upgrade till later on.

McDuncun

Honorable
I would not recommend that you upgrade at this point. That is still a very nice cpu and it will be for a while still. Maybe around 1 or 2 more intel cpu gen`s then I would say upgrading would make sense but at this stage no. I mean I am still running a 2nd gen 2500K and I only now feel I need to start upgrading. But your overall setup is still very good for what you are using it for.

Upgrading the CPU would probably not be worth it yet, seeing as the instructions per clock of the newest Intel CPUs are pretty much the same as what your CPU already offers. A 7000 series CPU might overclock a bit better, but that's about it. You could go to something offering more threads, but again, I doubt it would make a significant difference in most games. I'd say you'd be better off going for the monitor upgrade, and leaving the CPU upgrade for when something all-around better becomes available.

SamF18

Reputable
Apr 5, 2016
Thanks everyone for the replies! :)
I'll keep the money for the monitor, and will wait for a better upgrade (I didn't know about coffee lake, but that could be promising).

I'd have to agree with everyone, I wouldn't upgrade unless you do notice the CPU being pushed to 100% quite often, If so then I'd just get an i7 4790k or save up and wait to see how the coffee lake is going to be, I heard something of an i5 6 core which might be interesting but of course you will need to upgrade RAM, motherboard. The Haswell CPU's are still very relevant for gaming, if you are happy with its performance then I wouldn't even waste my time with an upgrade till later on.

Solution

SamF18

Reputable
Apr 5, 2016
Thanks everyone! I eventually did upgrade to a ryzen 7 1700x (I had to as I was giving away my old stuff to a family member who needed it immediately).
So far, I don't have anything to say about it; performance is relatively the same in most games I play.
It's a bit weird to be back to AMD after 14 years of intel, but I'm glad they're back in the game. Competition is good for the end user! I'm hoping that I'll be able to use my mobo for many years and at least another CPU, and that we'll get good updates for this one in the near future.
I'm going to try a couple of things (namely virtual machine) that I wouldn't have done without the 8-core CPU. We'll see.
Thanks a lot to everyone! Again, if I had had a choice (which was the case when I first created this topic), I'd have kept the Haswell.

Good to hear that you are enjoying you're Ryzen build, There should be a Ryzen Refresh eventually that should still be AM4 compatiable, but nothing is really set in stone yet. For virtual machines, you should be set, Idk if I could ever return to a 4 core 4 thread CPU anymore for a daily driver unless it was for a laptop, But I find my self where 6 cores and 12 threads to be the sweet spot for my use case although I'd love to have a chance to mess around with a Ryzen 7 if I could.

Good luck!