Worth upgrading from i5 3570 to i7 4790k?

TheKeeper

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015
Is it worth to upgrade my i5 3570 3.40 GHz to i7-4790K 4.40GHz?

With my current CPU and AMD 280x I can't squeeze myself to ultra settings on games such as The Witcher 3 or Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Would this upgrade help much?

Solution
You can check this by monitoring your GPU and CPU load under gaming. If you see your CPU load is at 100% or almost always at 100% under load, and your GPU is not; then the CPU upgrade is justified. If your CPU is not near 100%, but your GPU is, then your GPU is holding you back.

But seeing the i5 is an excellent CPU capable of pushing the R9 280x all the way to its limits I don't think upgrading the CPU wil make much difference. It is very hard for any system to play the Witcher 3 on max settings and get solid 60+ fps, even at 1080p. You should however be able to play DA:I on max settings with your current setup at 1080p with good fps.
You can check this by monitoring your GPU and CPU load under gaming. If you see your CPU load is at 100% or almost always at 100% under load, and your GPU is not; then the CPU upgrade is justified. If your CPU is not near 100%, but your GPU is, then your GPU is holding you back.

But seeing the i5 is an excellent CPU capable of pushing the R9 280x all the way to its limits I don't think upgrading the CPU wil make much difference. It is very hard for any system to play the Witcher 3 on max settings and get solid 60+ fps, even at 1080p. You should however be able to play DA:I on max settings with your current setup at 1080p with good fps.

Solution