Worth upgrading from i5 3570k to i7 4790k

Griffin Smagghe

Honorable
May 12, 2013
should it be worth the money?
i mainly use my pc for gaming but iam also wanne start streaming,video editing etc.

current specs:
i5 3570k @4.6
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD4H
Corsair h55 (will change to h100i)
16Gb ram crosshair vengeance (1600mhz)
GTX 690
Corsair RM750

Solution
For gaming there isn't much point.

You'll see a very marginal increase in a heavily multi-threaded game (for example- BF4 multi-player) but for most games it's the GPU that does the majority of the work.

For video editing you may say a slightly better increase but unless you can get the i7 relatively cheap then it's not really worth it (unless you're going to video edit a LOT then it may save precious time).

Put simply, most games struggle to utilise 4 cores so it won't do much for gaming.
Anything that's CPU reliant will benefit more.

Work out what you're going to use more as that will help you decide if it's worth it or not.

Take a look at:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2014/06/19/intel-core-i7-4790k-devil-s-canyon-review/
It...

Andrew Mitchell

Honorable
May 31, 2013
For gaming there isn't much point.

You'll see a very marginal increase in a heavily multi-threaded game (for example- BF4 multi-player) but for most games it's the GPU that does the majority of the work.

For video editing you may say a slightly better increase but unless you can get the i7 relatively cheap then it's not really worth it (unless you're going to video edit a LOT then it may save precious time).

Put simply, most games struggle to utilise 4 cores so it won't do much for gaming.
Anything that's CPU reliant will benefit more.

Work out what you're going to use more as that will help you decide if it's worth it or not.

Take a look at:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2014/06/19/intel-core-i7-4790k-devil-s-canyon-review/
It compares the 4790k against a lot of previous generation i-series chips.

Solution

Aletzr

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015

(BF4 MP) Should i buy 4970k and GTX 970, or buy 2 GTX 970 with my 3570K @4,5GHz? Wich of these setups will have better avg fps?