Question worth upgrading from i5-4690K to i5-8600K or 9600K

EyesOfJack

Honorable
Jun 26, 2016
Looking to upgrade my CPU and a few other components, was wondering whether to go for the 8600k or 9600k

Specs:

CPU: i5-4690k
GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Ti
RAM: 16gb HyperX fury 1600mhz
Mobo: MSI gaming 5

EyesOfJack

Honorable
Jun 26, 2016
If the software can utilize more cores/threads then that's another reason to go Ryzen. Heck for the price of the 8600K/9600K (including the cooler) you could get the Ryzen 2700X (8C/16T with a boost speed of 4.3ghz).
cheers for the help, ill consider AMD, its just im a intel fanboy thats all lmao but thanks for the help

WildCard999

Titan
I may be a changed man when it comes to the upgrade i may join the red team
I've always gone for whatever is better price to performance. Was Red during the first gen Intel i series, then blue for the Haswell series (AMD FX was pretty bad) and now back to red as AMD has really stepped up performance this time around. If you can hold off until July AMD Ryzen 3rd gen is putting out new CPU's with increased cores/threads and a much higher clock speed. Rumor has it that a mid range Ryzen 3rd gen outperforms the 9900K in Cinebench.

Looking to upgrade my CPU and a few other components, was wondering whether to go for the 8600k or 9600k

Specs:

CPU: i5-4690k
GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Ti
RAM: 16gb HyperX fury 1600mhz
Mobo: MSI gaming 5
If the motherboard will handle it I'd recomemend getting the latest tech so 9600K. You may want to wait until July for the AMD launch to see if Intel will drop their prices.

Don't let anyone talk you in to buying a brand or model you don't want. Buy want you want it's your money. I always feel when you go to turn your rig on you should have a smile on for face. You don't get that buying something you really didn't want because you were talked into it against your wishes.

WildCard999

Titan
If the motherboard will handle it I'd recomemend getting the latest tech so 9600K. You may want to wait until July for the AMD launch to see if Intel will drop their prices.

Don't let anyone talk you in to buying a brand or model you don't want. Buy want you want it's your money. I always feel when you go to turn your rig on you should have a smile on for face. You don't get that buying something you really didn't want because you were talked into it against your wishes.
That Haswell MB doesn't support the 9600K nor the memory so both would need to be replaced.

We try to recommend parts based on the best performance for the money, nothing is forced. Before my Ryzen 2600 build I started a budget build using the Gigabyte Z370 MB, 8gb DDR4 @2666 & a Pentium Gold G5400 as a placeholder for the 9600K when I had the extra money. As time went on I did more research between the CPU and cost of aftermarket cooling, overclocking, value & upgrade-ability and it turns out I made a mistake as I don't game at a high refresh rate and could use that money to better other parts of my system. Eventually sold the parts to my friends kids as a homework/gaming system.
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/6Fr6Mp

Changed mine to the 2600 and never been happier but then again I'd rather play at a higher resolution around 75hz so the choice was well made. Since EyesofJack is playing at 1080P/60hz the Ryzen would be a good choice but if at 144hz+ then I would of suggestion Intel as the performance per core post overclock would be needed to maintain those high FPS.

EyesOfJack

Honorable
Jun 26, 2016

im looking at upgrading to the 9th gen i5s with an aorus Z390 pro, heard its good with overclocking. Havent done a big upgrade to the system before, ive upgraded parts as ive gone along so new motherboard, new graphics cards, ram but never upgraded to a new generation so im excited