[SOLVED] Worth upgrading from LGA1150 to LGA1151?

Jan 6, 2020
Hello guys!

I am no expert I must say and I can't really get my head around it anymore.

Long story short:

I wanted to upgrade my RAM from DDR3 8 GB (2x4 GB) to 16 GB (2x8). Ideally with 2 more slots for the future if needed one day. I have a very old Intel motherboard (Optiplex).
I have ordered a new mATX motherboard and was excited to get it this week to change it.

Now I have figured out that I have a LGA1150 CPU (Intel Core i5-4570 @ 3.20GHz) but ordered a LGA1150 motherboard (ASRock b365m Phantom Gaming 4).

Now my dilemma. Should I just try and find a different motherboard (e.g. Q8 ASUS7M-E) or is it worth it and just upgrade my CPU as well? I do play games from time to time (casual) but would want to make sure that I have a PC that'll work just fine in 2-3 years.

Would really appreciate any helpful thoughts because my brain is about to explode o_O

Cheers,

Dominic

Solution
Since your original objective was more ram, it turns out that 16gb of DDR3 which you needed costs about the same as a 16gb ddr4 kit.

If your current processor suits you, there is a case for buying a used replacement motherboard and ddr3 ram. New motherboards for the processor will have inflated prices.

What do you use this pc for?
Do you have a discrete graphics card?

I think it might be best to upgrade to a 8/9th gen processor.
A i3- 9300f would be 20% faster and sells for about $100
9400f has 6 cores and is about $150.
The f suffix processors do not have integrated graphics if you need that.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
ASRock b365m Phantom Gaming 4 this is for a 8th or 9th generation CPU and cannot be used with your CPU.
you will need new RAM and a new CPU to use this board.

I would not spend on a dead socket. the 5th generation intels are a dead socket, no new chips for it and NO upgrade paths beyond an 5th gen i7.

Reactions: DomCols
Jan 6, 2020
ASRock b365m Phantom Gaming 4 this is for a 8th or 9th generation CPU and cannot be used with your CPU.
you will need new RAM and a new CPU to use this board.

I would not spend on a dead socket. the 5th generation intels are a dead socket, no new chips for it and NO upgrade paths beyond an 5th gen i7.

Thanks for your reply! That is my dilemma.

My current options are: Take the Phantom Gaming 4 and buy a new LGA1151 CPU or will I be just fine for the next 2-3 years if I just get a different motherboard that would take my current LGA1150 CPU. I do not really know if there's a big difference and if I'd need to upgrade my CPU in some years anyway.

If I understand it right, you'd recommend upgrading the CPU(?) instead.

Since your original objective was more ram, it turns out that 16gb of DDR3 which you needed costs about the same as a 16gb ddr4 kit.

If your current processor suits you, there is a case for buying a used replacement motherboard and ddr3 ram. New motherboards for the processor will have inflated prices.

Reactions: DomCols
Solution
Jan 6, 2020

Hi! Thanks for your reply!

I mainly do browsing, normal work stuff (Excel, Word, Powerpoint) some audio production/editing from time to time. And I may end up playing more games again (I didn't play for a while but got hooked on Escape from Tarkov so it might bring me back).

Personally, I don't need 500+ FPS, I only have a 60Hz monitor anyway but would be good to have something solid for the future. I actually looked at the CORE I5-9400F which is currently on sale for GBP127 - that won't hurt too much (if it will last me for a couple of years at least). I am running a ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti OC Edition at the moment.

Thanks again for the help!

Dominic

Last edited: