[SOLVED] Worth upgrading from z170, intelcore i7 6700k skylake to b550, ryzen 5 5600x?

Jul 3, 2021
Rig rn:
i7 6700k on a z170 motherboard
GTX 1060 6gb
24GB 2400mhz Ram (4 sticks)
650W PS
And then the new one the same but with b550 motherboard and ryzen 5 5600X and a h150i cooler
upgrade cost is about 6300kr or 738 USD

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your PSU and it's age? Might want to follow stylizing asked of in this thread in order for the community to gauge if the upgrade is worthwhile. Also, to get the best out of your Ryzen platform on the 5000 series processor, you will need a DDR4 dual channel ram kit that's rated to run at least 3200MHz or higher, so that's anothe addition to your expenses. If you don't get the build right, you're only going to wonder why things are sluggish.

FYI, if you asked me what would be possible for an upgrade with the lowest amount of investment, it'd have to be to buy a dual channel DDR4-3200MHz ram kit and replace the rams in your build to help give a boost to your existing Z series...

Lutfij

Titan

Make and model of your PSU and it's age? Might want to follow stylizing asked of in this thread in order for the community to gauge if the upgrade is worthwhile. Also, to get the best out of your Ryzen platform on the 5000 series processor, you will need a DDR4 dual channel ram kit that's rated to run at least 3200MHz or higher, so that's anothe addition to your expenses. If you don't get the build right, you're only going to wonder why things are sluggish.

FYI, if you asked me what would be possible for an upgrade with the lowest amount of investment, it'd have to be to buy a dual channel DDR4-3200MHz ram kit and replace the rams in your build to help give a boost to your existing Z series platform.

+ how do you have 24GB spread out across 4 sticks? you should be on 32GB if you have 8GB sticks.

Solution
Jul 3, 2021

FYI, if you asked me what would be possible for an upgrade with the lowest amount of investment, it'd have to be to buy a dual channel DDR4-3200MHz ram kit and replace the rams in your build to help give a boost to your existing Z series platform.

+ how do you have 24GB spread out across 4 sticks? you should be on 32GB if you have 8GB sticks.
Thanks for the tip! PSU is a CS650 and it is as of now about 4 years old, and as skynetrising mentioned I have 8GB+8GB+4GB+4GB.

TRENDING THREADS