Worth upgrading GPU only?

Dexter010

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
I build this pc in the end of 2013 and got the gpu's almost a year later. I'm curious to know because i have a 1440p 144hz monitor and a 4k 60hz tv. With alot of great new games coming in the near future i would like to perhaps buy a new 1180TI when it comes out. Also having more fps on better settings with shooters will be beneficial. Non of my hardware is overclocked and prefer not to.

Current pc: GPU's 2x MSI GTX980 4GB in SLI - CPU IntelCore Hexa-Core i7-4930K 3,9GHz - Motherboard ASUS Rampage IV Formula - Corsair Dominator GT 4x4 16gb 2133Mhz

If any people with experiences like this scenario could give their opinion, it will be appreciated alot. I think it's a waste of money to build an entire new pc since it still quite good in performing on 4k, but in the coming years i want better performance (fps) and more VRAM.
Where could a bottleneck take place and what will i lose (by chance)?

I currently play The Witcher 3 on 4k ultra settings, Hairworks and AA off and i have a steady 50-60fps. So alot of coming games like Forza Horizon 4 will be good on 4k aswell. My cpu is barely getting used tbh looking in task managar cpu usage.

Although the 1180TI will come out around 2019/2020, so keep that in mind.

Nobody outside of Nvidia and a few other people know anything about the GTX 1180 or 1180 ti yet. If we assume that both will be cut down GPU's based on Volta then the GTX 1180 ti should perform similarly in gaming to a Titan V. If you want 4K at 60fps the GTX 1080 ti is already enough and it's enough for 1440p 144hz as well. If you want to wait for the GTX 1180 ti to come out then you can by all means do that. Your GTX 980's in sli are good enough to do 'some' games in 4K 60 fps. And by some games I mean the few that actually support sli. Having used SLI I know how frustrating it can be sometimes. If you can wait then wait it might not be much longer until the release of the 11 series. But if you can't wait then the GTX 1080 ti is plenty enough GPU for you.