Worth upgrading GPU with i7-920 (2.67 GHz) at 1920x1080 res for Battlefield 1?

FPSdad

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017
Hi all. First I want to say that I have extensively searched the forums for similar content and found a lot of useful info, but I guess I need a bit more reassurance. After I had kids my gaming time has gone way down but I recently got nostalgic and my FPS itch has been irritating me lately. So, I decided to get Battlefield 1 and run in on my current setup as follows:

CPU: I7-920 Bloomfield Quad-core (2.67 GHz) LGA 1366 130W BX80601920 Processor
GPU: NVIDIA EGVA GTX 590 Ultra
RAM: G.SKILL 12 GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Motherboard: ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366
Resolution: 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz refresh
Power Supply: RAIDMAX RX-850AE 850W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready )
Cooling Method: Fans

Right now I can only run on low settings at playable FPS and it looks terrible. Cranking up to medium settings and it gets choppy. I built this rig in 2010 and know it's quite dated, but considering I don't game like used to I'm hoping to upgrade the GPU to squeeze a bit more life out of it so as to run BF1 at med - high settings. My hope is to get in the neighborhood of 60fps. Budget is not really a huge issue but I'm not really thinking about a new build from scratch - just looking to have a playable BF1 setup. I'm considering the 1050 ti and from what I read I'd get some performance boost. Just worried that it won't be much better than what I have now considering how the CPU would be a bottleneck.

Let me further say that I do not wish to OC the CPU. I have little time and patience for tinkering with BIOS settings. If this helps, I have run BF4 on medium (pre-babies) and Diablo 3 with no probs whatsoever.

P.S. Thanks for reading :love:

kookie3010

Honorable
well as u know the gtx 1050ti will be bottleneck by your cpu.however it still should be an improvement over your old gpu and overall performance should increase as well.the 1050ti is like a gtx 680 in terms of overall performance.i say get the card and who knows u might want to upgrade down the line.also u can always upscale the res in bf1 if u feel that your gpu is being bottleneck by the cpu to balance things out.

FPSdad

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017

Forgive me, what do you mean by upscaling the res?

kookie3010

Honorable

there should be an option in bf1 to upscale the resolution.by default it should be under video settings and at 100% scale.increase it and the gpu should work harder.

FPSdad

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017

Perfect. I'll try that and thank you for the advice.

FPSdad

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017
And just in case anyone is interested in this thread, I have some updates. I went ahead and ordered the 1050 Ti and it will probably arrive in a few days. I'll let the forum know what (if any) performance boost I get from that. In the meantime, I was playing BF1 last night with my current setup when all of a sudden I heard a terrible rattling noise coming from my tower. Sounded like something had fallen into one of the fans. This lasted for about 3 seconds and went away, but then my game crashed and I got an error pop up saying something like "the video card has been physically removed" and something about the current driver (which I recently updated to the most current version from the Nvidia website). I tried to restart the game but got the same result. I checked all the fans in the case as well as on the vid card and everything was spinning, so doesn't look like any issues there. THen I uninstalled and reinstalled the vid card with current drivers and same result. I think it's just a BF1 issue bc I can play D3 just fine. Maybe I'll try older vid drivers, or maybe the old card is finally ready to cash her chips in. I'll post later if I resolve the issue.

UPDATE: Installed the new 1050 Ti and the game runs much better now. I'm able to run it with medium settings and very smooth frame rates, just a few dips here and there but I'm sure that's my 7-year old CPU struggling to keep up. I'm sure with a little more tweaking I'll get more out of this card than my system can demand. Overall, I'm happy with these results and looks like I can hold off on a new build for a few more years unless DICE or someone else comes out with a better FPS before I'm done with BF1.