[SOLVED] Worth upgrading i7-3770k?

Oct 8, 2020
I have a RX 5500XT (8gb) and when playing games such as warzone CPU usage reaches 100% and my game crashes after each game, with consistent FPS drops throughout.
One CPU that has been recommended is the Ryzen 5 3600, for which I would have to change motherboard, or the i5-9600k.
My motherboard is the Gigabyte Z77P-D3.

Please let me know what I should upgrade, or if there are any other CPUs you recommend

Price range preferably less than £300

Solution
When my game crashes both monitors I have turn black for a few seconds and the game then quits. I haven't checked temps yet either. I assumed it's because the game was CPU intensive and the usage was consistently hitting 100% while the GPU was on 80%
CPU consistently hitting 100% while GPU on 80% is not an issue. It has nothing to do with the game crashing.

It's much more likely there is something wrong with either your CPU/GPU cooling and/or your PSU is no longer providing the power that your GPU needs to run the game.
Any cpu upgrade will require a new motherboard and also DDR4 ram.

Have you checked cpu/gpu temperatures during gaming session?

What PSU are you using? (You'd have to open your pc and look at psu label, to find PSU model name.)

Please describe game crashes, you're experiencing. Exit to desktop? System reboot? BSOD? System shutdown? or what?
Does this happen in one game only? or in all games?

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020
Any cpu upgrade will require a new motherboard and also DDR4 ram.

Have you checked cpu/gpu temperatures during gaming session?

What PSU are you using? (You'd have to open your pc and look at psu label, to find PSU model name.)

Please describe game crashes, you're experiencing. Exit to desktop? System reboot? BSOD? System shutdown? or what?
When my game crashes both monitors I have turn black for a few seconds and the game then quits. I haven't checked temps yet either. I assumed it's because the game was CPU intensive and the usage was consistently hitting 100% while the GPU was on 80%

When my game crashes both monitors I have turn black for a few seconds and the game then quits.
I assumed it's because the game was CPU intensive and the usage was consistently hitting 100% while the GPU was on 80%
This sounds like problem with gpu (overheating, drivers issue),
memory configuration error (like disabled pagefile) or
could be also psu issue.

Please find out temperatures during gaming session (use MSI afterburner) and
psu model name.

Oct 8, 2020
This sounds like problem with gpu (overheating, drivers issue),
memory configuration error (like disabled pagefile) or
could be also psu issue.

Please find out temperatures during gaming session (use MSI afterburner) and
psu model name.
Launched the game, according to AMD software GPU is at an average of around 65 degrees. Frame drops stopped, turns out I wasn't using the stock profile for my global graphics which when I disabled it ran fine with no stutter.

CPU consistently hitting 100% while GPU on 80% is not an issue. It has nothing to do with the game crashing.

It's much more likely there is something wrong with either your CPU/GPU cooling and/or your PSU is no longer providing the power that your GPU needs to run the game.

Solution