Worth upgrading just the GPU?

D6mi

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Hey everybody!

Very first post on these forums, so I'd like to greet everyone reading this post :). So....hi! :D.

Well, straight to the point. My pc specs are as follows :

Intel Core Duo 2 2.5 Ghz
Gigabyte GA - P35 - DS3L
Nvidia 9600GT
2 GB of DDR2 RAM (Had 4GB, but one stick died on me :( ).

I play on a res of 1680 x 1050 and I'd like to be able to play BF3 and Skyrim smoothly on decent detail (the new Batman too). I really don't expect to be able to max out the details because I do realize the CPU and RAM are going to create one hell of a bottleneck, but so far, I can afford upgrading one component and I'd like it to be the one that will impact my gaming performance the most.

So, my question is this : Is it worth (and possible) to upgrade my system with a GTX560? The 560 has good reviews and seems affordable, but is it a good idea to put it in my system as it is now?

Thank you for any advice coming my way!

D6mi

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011

I would be fine with not getting the full benefits (at the moment), since I plan on replacing my motherboard and cpu as soon as my finances allow for it. Could you advise me on whether will the 560 fit on my motherboard?

Btw, thanks for the very fast reply :)

kilo_17

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Sure, you can put it in your system, but it's going to be held back. I agree with rolli, at least overclock your C2D some. And, I also recommend you order another 2gb stick and upgrade it to 4gb.

kilo_17

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011

As long as you have the proper slot on your motherboard, and ample case room, I don't see why (in most cases :D) it wouldn't fit.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
i would try to stretch for the 560 TI.

its not a waste. little bit of CPU overclock and ill be good (maybe another 2gb of RAM)

then later on when you upgrade your CPU, MOBO & RAM ull have quite a decent rig.

what size PSU do you have?

D6mi

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
I'll give it a look, but it's a stretch already :/. I'm a student, so money's a issue. The power supply will need an upgrade too, the 560 requires a 550W supply if I'm not mistaken, mine's 400W since I bought this rig 3 - 4 years ago, so I'll have to purchase a new PSU.

Once again, thank you for the fast replies :)

D6mi

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Oh, didn't know that, thanks for clearing that up.

Anyway, would you suggest the Gainward one over the PALIT GTX 560 OC 1 GB RAM? The GS's around 300kn (52$) cheaper than the PALIT one and it's available in my city, the PALIT one isn't. Really appreciate the help, really looking forward to getting a new GPU, all of the games that I'd like to play are unplayable on low at the moment.