[SOLVED] Worth upgrading my 4790k?

discoslice

Honorable
Sep 18, 2014
Just got an nVidia 2080, an upgrade from my old 980 TI. Looks like my graphics performance has either gone up 65% and doubled in some cases according to some early tests. I'm wondering how much my older 4790k might be bottlenecking me. I can get a 9600k or so for $250, but i just spent $777 on this GPU so rather not spend more unless i have to.

I game at 2560x1600 usually. Here is a link to some UserBenchmark results if you wanna take a quick look. I know my RAM may be hampering a little but, but mainly i'm asking how my older 4790k might be impacting my new nVidia 2080. P.S. Ram is Corsair Vengeance I think and two of my HDs are mainly for storage.

UserBenchmarks: Game 118%, Desk 91%, Work 71%
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K - 81.8%
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 - 151%
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB - 116.7%
HDD: WD Black 2TB (2013) - 76%
HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C 1TB - 54.2%
RAM: Unknown CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9 0215 CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 0215 CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9 0215 CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 24GB - 49.5%
MBD: MSI Z97 GAMING 5 (MS-7917)

Solution
4c cpus even from 6 and 7th gen are suffering high cpu usages at high frame rates. Depends on the game too i know.

Watch this to get an idea. He explains it well.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo3EJzHuXok"][/video]

discoslice

Honorable
Sep 18, 2014

Yeah I wondered something - would i have to get a new MOBO then if I get that processor upgrade? I have the MSI z97 now. Also new Ram?

Worth it, yes, wise? no.

you could go for a 8700k, to me the direct upgrade from haswell is to 8700k, anything before that can be disregarded, though 8 gen is being phased out, the expectations is that intel can finally sort that 10nm drama already, its long overdue and if they do, 8 gen will be even more obsolete, and so will that travesti of a generation that is the 9th gen, they are powerful, yes, but still are nothing but the refresh of the refresh with more cores crammed in with the cost of hyperthreading.

all in all, im using a 4770k overclocked to 4.4ghz, wanna know when im gonna swap it? well, I wanna know as well, i can do and run anything with it without any hiccups, in fact, im waiting RTX to prove itself cause im gonna slap a RTX 2080 if it does on that 4770k. will run just about anything @1080/1440p so....

also, bottleneck is irrelevant, people treat it as if it were a wall in wich theres this X card that is the max before you cpu will bottleneck, after that you can slap in a TITAN RTX MEGA HYPER and wont get anymore FPS's whatsoever, thats not true, you'll still get more and more fps, of course you'll get even more FPS with a new stronger cpu, this is a quite obvious thing... any cpu upgrade will improve FPS with on any graphics card

Like ipc upgrade from devils canyon to 8th gen? not really, only 2 extra cores and 4 threads.

The higher resolution than 1080p the cpu is less bound, gpu works harder.

If you arent happy with perfomance agter you buy new gpu, you can always upgrade the whole system, 4th gen still holds its magic perfomance.

Do not use userbenchmark, since its not soo soo in precision, mainly cause a lot of ppl overclock then post benchmark, as i did.

Rather find youtube video with msi afterburners graph, usage and etc. with also descrption which parts ate used in video. If possible compare it with other videos to be sure its correct, take this with grain od salt.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
@Rodrigodrt, bottleneck can be perceived differently and there are different opinions how it affects performance.

Regards to the cpu, it needs to supply the graphics card with pre-rendered frames. The more frames there are the more cpu has to ready and that pushes up cpu usage. If cpu usage is too high then it can restrict the graphics card causing fps drops and stutters. So its a good idea to have a good match between cpu and gpu.

Oh, i dont deny that, but it turns out that people seem to have created this uncanny fear @ bottleneck... opting for 'weaker' stuff by sheer superstition, the reality is that, lets say, ok, an older CPU will not bottleneck a 2060 and will run things nicely 1080p, but even though a 2080/ti would bottleneck it, for whatever it means, it will still run better.

what i wouldnt recommend is having a completely trash celeron cpu that cant run anything already, and slap in a 2080ti hoping for insane FPS's, in that case, either you have the money for upgrading your system as whole, or it would be better to actully buy a 2070/2060 and use the rest of the cash to upgrade the cpu/etc

what i see around is people scared because their 3770k4660k, similars, and AMD counterparts 'might' bottleneck their GPU of choice because they are "too powerful" for their CPU. If there is a case that an old and weak cpu will suffer from stutter, lag, massive drops on the highest end card out there, the odds is that this CPU is so bad that no card will suit it for gaming in any case, even the best one that won't bottleneck it.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
4c cpus even from 6 and 7th gen are suffering high cpu usages at high frame rates. Depends on the game too i know.

Watch this to get an idea. He explains it well.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo3EJzHuXok"][/video]

Solution