[SOLVED] Worth upgrading my CPU?

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
So here are my specs:
CPU : intel i7-8700 3.2ghz - 4.6ghz
Motherboard: B360 gaming 3 wifi
RAM: 1x16gb 3000mhz (mb supports only to 2666mhz)
GPU: MSI RTX 3060 ti gaming x trio
PSU: 700W cooler master (bronze or silver not sure I remember quite right)

so I was wondering about my CPU, It's not really causing much trouble (other than in cod warzone) but If I were to upgrade my CPU, and I'm thinking specifically to switch to AMD (not sure if that's the right call with the processors existing atm in both AMD and intel), my question is should I upgrade my CPU? if so AMD or Intel and which model ?

Solution
So here are my specs:

so I was wondering about my CPU, It's not really causing much trouble (other than in cod warzone) but If I were to upgrade my CPU, and I'm thinking specifically to switch to AMD (not sure if that's the right call with the processors existing atm in both AMD and intel), my question is should I upgrade my CPU? if so AMD or Intel and which model ?
Upgrading to a CPU that could make a difference, will require a motherboard upgrade and maybe RAM.
Your system could do a bit better if you...
So here are my specs:

Upgrading to a CPU that could make a difference, will require a motherboard upgrade and maybe RAM.
Your system could do a bit better if you run the RAM in dual-channel mode, but it will require two RAM modules instead of just one.
Which resolution and refresh rate do you use to play?

i doubt you'd see any performance increase with games unless you also upgraded your graphics card.
the 8700K should provide more than enough frames for the RTX 3060 Ti to process.
A B-series motherboard has basic functionalities and does not support any kind of overclocking features, so getting a 8700K won't do any good.

Solution

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Your system could do a bit better if you run the RAM in dual-channel mode, but it will require two RAM modules instead of just one.
Which resolution and refresh rate do you use to play?

A B-series motherboard has basic functionalities and does not support any kind of overclocking features, so getting a 8700K won't do any good.
ofc, I understand that and have in mind that the mb and ram will most definitely be upgraded/changed if I upgrade my CPU.

I mostly play on 1920x1080, 144-165hz screen

Way more than a bit. I would add the memory first. You are very much hurting the memory bandwidth available to the CPU.

Whenever the GPU isn't at 100% load the CPU bandwidth will really hold it back. (GTAV shows it off well since it is older, but it will help minimum frame rates all over the place)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQS86YfdrQY
The RAM problem could be solved, it's not a big deal for me and I can change to dual any time although it really won't affect THAT much I've seen multiple comparisons barely a couple of FPS change for that so I'll leave it to IF I upgrade my CPU

Perhaps Intel's XTU might allow overriding power/boost duration limits, thereby more closely approximating an 8700K's 95W TDP (and ~4.4 GHz all-core boost clocks) vice the 8700's 65W levels and 20-30% lower boost clocks....
hmm I'm not sure I fully understand, could you explain further please?

DSzymborski

Titan
I'd like to know more about the Cooler Master PSU because safety trumps fun every time and there are some Cooler Master 700W PSUs that should not be in this rig, from the dire MasterWatt Lite to the mediocre i700, Silent Pro, and the Bronze-rated MWE.

So here are my specs:

Just picking around the edges.
Get the proper bios and drivers.
Don't run unneeded background stuff.
Monitor temps to make sure nothing is getting too warm
So far all that's free.

It would not hurt to go dual channel with the ram.
What are you using for storage?

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Just picking around the edges.
Get the proper bios and drivers.
Don't run unneeded background stuff.
Monitor temps to make sure nothing is getting too warm
So far all that's free.

It would not hurt to go dual channel with the ram.
What are you using for storage?
I've made sure of all of the above
I'm using m.2 xpg 500gb ssd (pcie 3.0) for my OS
and got around 3 TB of HDD and 256 gb ssd (crucial)

whatever, 8700 or 8700K.
either will provide more than enough frames for an RTX 3060 Ti to handle.

does it allow for and recognize the RAM's XMP profile?
or does it allow for manual parameter input?

if so, what happens when you select XMP or input the memory's manufacturer rated specs?
can you not input anything above 2666 or does the system just become unstable or not boot when using anything above that?
RAM problem could be solved, it's not a big deal for me and I can change to dual any time
if you do decide to upgrade memory;
make sure to get a separate ≥3200MHz dual-channel kit.
mixing RAM kits, even those of the exact make & model modules, will often lead to problems even if they do manage to boot together.

The RAM problem could be solved, it's not a big deal for me and I can change to dual any time although it really won't affect THAT much I've seen multiple comparisons barely a couple of FPS change for that so I'll leave it to IF I upgrade my CPU
I'm curious as to what comparisons you seen. Going to dual channel should net noticeable gains in performance. Especially in CPU intensive games such as Warzone.

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
whatever, 8700 or 8700K.
either will provide more than enough frames for an RTX 3060 Ti to handle.

does it allow for and recognize the RAM's XMP profile?
or does it allow for manual parameter input?

if so, what happens when you select XMP or input the memory's manufacturer rated specs?
can you not input anything above 2666 or does the system just become unstable or not boot when using anything above that?

if you do decide to upgrade memory;
make sure to get a separate ≥3200MHz dual-channel kit.
mixing RAM kits, even those of the exact make & model modules, will often lead to problems even if they do manage to boot together.
regarding your question for XMP, yes by default it allows 2400mhz but I'm using the XMP profile 1 to increase it to 2666mhz, it would not go any further there is not option to do so (I suppose unless I oc the mb which I'm not sure is a good idea) I will upgrade the RAM but I want to upgrade everything at once, so for now I just want to know if my processor is enough for my CPU or is my GPU far too greater for my CPU (if my gpu is not utilizing my CPU at max capacity ...etc)

I'm curious as to what comparisons you seen. Going to dual channel should net noticeable gains in performance. Especially in CPU intensive games such as Warzone.
Just videos like "single ram vs dual channel ram" on youtube, maybe 10-15 fps diff in SOME games but some others just not that great for me to go sell my single ram and get dual you know? that does not mean I won't upgrade to dual, it was a mistake for buying a single in the first place I realize that but just will be doing so IF I'm upgrading other things as well