Question Worth Upgrading my GPU before the rest of my System?

Cryorex

Honorable
Jun 18, 2014
11
1
10,515
0
Hi there,

This is my current system:

MB - Asus Crosshair V Formula-z Motherboard
CPU - AMD FX 9590 4.7ghz
RAM - 8GB x2(16gb) 1866mhz
GPU - Radeon HD 7970 3GB
PSU - Corsair AX860 Platinum

I was thinking my next upgrade would be "the big one", in that I would be upgrading the Case, Motherboard, CPU & Ram all in one to Modern standards, something I can't really afford at this time.

So then I thought, could I just upgrade my GPU on it's own first. Since it's all just PCIE 16x Slots. However...

If I got a Modern GPU... say a Radeon RX 5500 XT 8GB GDDR6/PCIE 4.0.

Now... my Motherboard only supports PCIE 2.0, so will this hold the GPU back massively??
Or would it only hold it back, a bit? so the QUESTION IS, would it be worth upgrading the GPU NOW for a nice increase in Gaming-FPS, then the rest later?


Because I could potentially afford just a GPU now. But not the whole... MB, CPU, RAM, CASE combo.

Or would it not be worth it, and I should just wait until I can basically afford it all together, GPU, MB, CPU, RAM, CASE.

Also is there anything else to consider about running a new GPU on an older system like mine that I haven't mentioned?

Cheers guys.
 

DSzymborski

Polypheme
Moderator
Honestly, I'd wait. Being on a very old AM3+ platform limits the upside of better GPUs than the one you have and by the time you can afford the platform change, it's likely that there will be better supply and new GPUs, either allowing you to get something better for the price or allowing you to get something similar in performance for less money.
 

Cryorex

Honorable
Jun 18, 2014
11
1
10,515
0
Honestly, I'd wait. Being on a very old AM3+ platform limits the upside of better GPUs than the one you have and by the time you can afford the platform change, it's likely that there will be better supply and new GPUs, either allowing you to get something better for the price or allowing you to get something similar in performance for less money.
Yeah that is probably true.

The smarter move is probably just to wait until I can afford it all together, hopefully by Spring next year.
 
Reactions: Ronv1011

ASK THE COMMUNITY