[SOLVED] Worth upgrading my router?

Deeks

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
I need some advice on if I should be upgrading my router. I am currently using a Asus n66u dark night and some wireless Devices are disconnecting and having to reconnect all the time. Now I don't know if this is router related or the Devices them selves. The question is would it be worth to upgrade to a Asus rt-ax88u? My server and gaming computer is hard wired but all other devices are on wireless. Also I do run a plex server and wonder if a route upgrade would help with streaming to multiple devices at once? Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

Solution
I am currently using a Asus n66u dark night and some wireless Devices are disconnecting and having to reconnect all the time. Now I don't know if this is router related or the Devices them selves.
Are they trying to connect to the 2.4 GHz network? If so, then yes the problem is the router. The Asus routers have had a problem with the 2.4 GHz network for a long time. I first noticed it on ah RT-AC56U, and have seen it across multiple models over the years. The latest problem report I saw which sounded similar was for one of their newer AX models, so I don't think they've ever fixed it. The problem is device-dependent. Most device work just fine with the router's 2.4 GHz WiFi, but some devices connecting to the 2.4 GHz network...
I am currently using a Asus n66u dark night and some wireless Devices are disconnecting and having to reconnect all the time. Now I don't know if this is router related or the Devices them selves.
Are they trying to connect to the 2.4 GHz network? If so, then yes the problem is the router. The Asus routers have had a problem with the 2.4 GHz network for a long time. I first noticed it on ah RT-AC56U, and have seen it across multiple models over the years. The latest problem report I saw which sounded similar was for one of their newer AX models, so I don't think they've ever fixed it. The problem is device-dependent. Most device work just fine with the router's 2.4 GHz WiFi, but some devices connecting to the 2.4 GHz network keep rapidly disconnecting and reconnecting.

These devices work fine on the 5 GHz network. And the really weird thing is they work fine on the 2.4 GHz guest network. The problem is limited to the 2.4 GHz private WiFi. Most people I've run across who encounter the problem have been able to live with just connecting the problem devices to the router's 2.4 GHz guest network. The devices lose access to other devices on the LAN (and guest network), but they can access the Internet just fine. So if the problem devices are trying to connect to the 2.4 GHz network, try having them connect to the 2.4 GHz guest network.

Reactions: SamirD and Deeks
Solution

Deeks

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
Are they trying to connect to the 2.4 GHz network? If so, then yes the problem is the router. The Asus routers have had a problem with the 2.4 GHz network for a long time. I first noticed it on ah RT-AC56U, and have seen it across multiple models over the years. The latest problem report I saw which sounded similar was for one of their newer AX models, so I don't think they've ever fixed it. The problem is device-dependent. Most device work just fine with the router's 2.4 GHz WiFi, but some devices connecting to the 2.4 GHz network keep rapidly disconnecting and reconnecting.

These devices work fine on the 5 GHz network. And the really weird thing is they work fine on the 2.4 GHz guest network. The problem is limited to the 2.4 GHz private WiFi. Most people I've run across who encounter the problem have been able to live with just connecting the problem devices to the router's 2.4 GHz guest network. The devices lose access to other devices on the LAN (and guest network), but they can access the Internet just fine. So if the problem devices are trying to connect to the 2.4 GHz network, try having them connect to the 2.4 GHz guest network.

Thank you for the response I apreciate it. That is very interesting though I don't know if that is the issue I am having as I also d/c from my 5ghz Chanel as well. Only happens on my Samsung tv's which is why I thought it might be the tv's themselves but again not sure. Is it still worth upgrading the router as I am still using a wif4 router? Would I see a increase in reception or streaming to multiple devices at one time? Thanks for any info and your responses it is appreciated.

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you for the response I apreciate it. That is very interesting though I don't know if that is the issue I am having as I also d/c from my 5ghz Chanel as well. Only happens on my Samsung tv's which is why I thought it might be the tv's themselves but again not sure. Is it still worth upgrading the router as I am still using a wif4 router? Would I see a increase in reception or streaming to multiple devices at one time? Thanks for any info and your responses it is appreciated.
I obviously never had whatever specific devices which @Solandri was referring to. I used Asus routers as WIFI access points in my house for years. No issues. Your AC56U is dual band and the "ax" WIFI standards are still largely unsupported. Your devices will act like "ac" devices.
What is more likely is that you need additional WIFI access points. That distributes the load between radios and allows devices with much lower transmit power to have easier access to WIFI. A single device trying to blast a signal is not as good as 2 or 3 WIFI access points with the power turned DOWN tied back to your primary router via ethernet cable.
You should also move every stationary device to wired connectivity. THAT will have a much greater impact on your network performance than a new router. Save WIFI for handhelds, IOT and other devices that CAN'T be wired.

Deeks

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
I obviously never had whatever specific devices which @Solandri was referring to. I used Asus routers as WIFI access points in my house for years. No issues. Your AC56U is dual band and the "ax" WIFI standards are still largely unsupported. Your devices will act like "ac" devices.
What is more likely is that you need additional WIFI access points. That distributes the load between radios and allows devices with much lower transmit power to have easier access to WIFI. A single device trying to blast a signal is not as good as 2 or 3 WIFI access points with the power turned DOWN tied back to your primary router via ethernet cable.
You should also move every stationary device to wired connectivity. THAT will have a much greater impact on your network performance than a new router. Save WIFI for handhelds, IOT and other devices that CAN'T be wired.

I am currently renting so I cannot run new cat6 in my walls till we buy a place in a year here. I do have all my devices on hardline that I can ( 2 tv's, 2 computers) but a third computer and two other tvs are wireless. I currently don't even have a ac router just a wireless n router. I have the Asus N66u dark night at the moment. Was just hoping the upgrade would help in terms of transfer speeds. ( streaming to living room tv) and internet access to my other pc in the living room by upgrading the router and wireless card. I 100% agree with you on wire is the best option and when I purchase a house next year most of all my devices will be on wire but for now I am limited to wireless for at least some of my devices. With all this in mind do u still think it's worth upgrading the router or just stick with what I got till I move? Thanks a ton for your responses. Cheers.

In an apartment and other places you can't run wire, I'd recommend powerlines or moca adapters to get you 'wired' connections to make more stuff wired and also put additional access points where signals are weak. After hardwiring our TVs, I would never go back to wireless--it's just not worth the wait. ;)