Worth upgrading or building new?

Nsattpl

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
I have a gaming rig that I built in 2012, starting to think it may be time to upgrade, but need some help determining if I should build something new or if I can get away with using old components.

I do some gaming casually, but don't need something ultra high end. My current system can actually handle most games fairly well given its age but I'd like to be able to play newer/future releases on high settings with decent goals.

My current build is:
Asrock z68 extreme 3 gen 3 mobo
I5-2500
Radeon hd 7000 series (can't remember the exact model, was mid range maybe 7700?
Patriot 64 g ssd for windows
Seagate hd for everything else
8 gb ram

I will probably upgrade my PSU if I do any other upgrades.

I've read the I5-2500 is still just fine for gaming, not sure if an upgrade would Ben worth the cost or if would bottleneck if inupgraded gpu (if I can even still use my current mobo for a newer gpu)

Any thoughts?

Solution
Well, there's no need to upgrade the PSU. It will run any card that the i5-2500 can keep up with. The 1050 Ti is probably the fastest card you'll get right now for $200. Ok at 1080p with high-ish settings. Better with some games, even. Mine plays Doom 2016 at 1080p, 60 hz, ultra settings using the Vulkan API at 50 - 80 fps. But Doom is especially well optimized.

Nsattpl

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
PSU is Cooler Master GX 750.

I was looking at the GTX 1050i as a replacement card. I don't really have a fixed budget, but I'd like to keep the card price under $200 since I'm not going to be doing any hardcore gaming.

Also to note, i don't have my CPU overclocked right now, even though I have a cooler and had it overclocked in the past, so I could definitely squeeze more out of it. I've read quite a few people running 4+ GHz just fine long term.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Well, there's no need to upgrade the PSU. It will run any card that the i5-2500 can keep up with. The 1050 Ti is probably the fastest card you'll get right now for $200. Ok at 1080p with high-ish settings. Better with some games, even. Mine plays Doom 2016 at 1080p, 60 hz, ultra settings using the Vulkan API at 50 - 80 fps. But Doom is especially well optimized.

Solution