Question worth upgrading or just selling and starting over?

Aug 30, 2019
  • AMD Ryzen 7 2700X eight-core processor
    3.7GHz (with Max Turbo Speed of 4.3GHz), 16MB L3 Cache

• 16GB DDR4 SDRAM system memory (expandable to 64GB)

• 2TB SATA hard drive and 240GB solid state drive

• 10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet
    Connect to a broadband modem with wired Ethernet

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Graphics
    With 8GB dedicated graphics memory

• Tempered Glass Side Case Panel
  • 2 x USB 3.1 ports, 4 x USB 3.0 ports, 2 x USB 2.0 ports, 1 x PS/2 port, 1 x Ethernet port, 1 x 3-in-1 audio jack
  • 2 x 3.5" internal bays, 1 x 2.5" internal bay, 1 x PCI Express (x16) slot, 2 x PCI Express (x1) slot
  • 32 lbs; 21.3" x 8.7" x 20.3"

Just curious as to what it might be worth resale value, or could i just upgrade my CPU and GPU because im really wanting the new i9 9900k cpu with either an rtx 1060/1070 card. and im curious as to if my mobo (maybe not compatible) and psu (maybe too weak) will also need to be upgraded. Ive done some digging and not sure on which PSU and mobo i have but i know this is the exact computer that i have.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...powerpc_gamer_master_gma6400cpg_ryzen.html/qa

any help or advice would be much appreciated, im pretty much a novice at the PC stuff still :(

If you have a B450 or X470 mobo, just update the BIOS (while you still have the 2700X CPU) and get a Ryzen 3000 chip, they are impressively fast and although a 9900K has a slight advantage over the 3900X (top end of AMD Ryzen 3000) its pretty small and definitely not worth the cost of a new chipset. Even the 3800X is a strong competitor against the 9900K and is cheaper.

As far as your GPU, if you mean the RTX 2060 and RTX 2070 dont, they have been replaced by the Super line so either get a RTX 2060 SUPER or AMDs equivalent RX 5700. The next level up would be the RTX 2070 Super and RX 5700XT.

At both levels the RTX cards do out perform the RX cards, but the 5700XT is the same price as a 2060 Super, at around 399 USD and is more powerful, but the 2070 Super beats it by anywhere from 5-15% depending on the game. But the 2070 Super is over 500 USD. Personally I think the 5700XT is the best deal right now.

Reactions: scuddaz
Aug 30, 2019
If you have a B450 or X470 mobo, just update the BIOS (while you still have the 2700X CPU) and get a Ryzen 3000 chip, they are impressively fast and although a 9900K has a slight advantage over the 3900X (top end of AMD Ryzen 3000) its pretty small and definitely not worth the cost of a new chipset. Even the 3800X is a strong competitor against the 9900K and is cheaper.

As far as your GPU, if you mean the RTX 2060 and RTX 2070 dont, they have been replaced by the Super line so either get a RTX 2060 SUPER or AMDs equivalent RX 5700. The next level up would be the RTX 2070 Super and RX 5700XT.

At both levels the RTX cards do out perform the RX cards, but the 5700XT is the same price as a 2060 Super, at around 399 USD and is more powerful, but the 2070 Super beats it by anywhere from 5-15% depending on the game. But the 2070 Super is over 500 USD. Personally I think the 5700XT is the best deal right now.

When you say "update the bios" can you please explain that, im sorry im really not that good with computers at this moment as i have just switched from console gaming to PC gaming. so if i just upgrade my cpu to a ryzen 3900x, pair it with the rtx 2070 (which i meant to put in my first post, sorry) i should be okay? And i was either planning on spending a good amount on my cpu and gpu so the 3900x paired with the rtx 2070 super should hold me over for a few years (gaming wise)? when i say "hold me over" i mean be able to keep up with the new games that keep coming out over the next few years? also, like i said ive never even opened this PC up to see what my power supply is, ive read on forums it has a 450w, ive seen it has a 650w, it varies with the year it came out (via some generated response from the compay)

Aug 30, 2019
also, im not even sure which mobo i have, this is what is inside of my system information... sorry for the double post as well :/

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-LMMTHQK
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model AX370M-DS3H
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU Default string
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor, 3700 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F23, 8/8/2018
SMBIOS Version 3.1
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.17134.858"
User Name DESKTOP-LMMTHQK\corey
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 11.5 GB
Total Virtual Memory 18.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory 11.1 GB
Page File Space 2.88 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not InstantGo, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Aug 30, 2019
I assume you mean RTX 2060 or RTX 2070? and it's a cyberpowerPC so probs a pretty crappy PSU, you could just get a Ryzen 5 3600 or Ryzen 7 3700X which would be better valued, the 1070 Ti is still a pretty decent GPU.

im thinking its like 450w or something tbh. its due for a good cleaning so when i take the tempered glass on the side ill make sure i look and see how many watts the PSU is while im dusting it out. any tips on make sure i dont mess it up? just power it down, unplug it, and clean?

If you already have a GTX 1070 Ti, an RTX 2060 would be kind of a pointless upgrade, since they both offer approximately the same level of performance, with the only notable things differentiating the 2060 being hardware support for raytraced lighting effects (which are only supported in a few games so far) but 2GB less VRAM, which could hurt performance in future titles. And even the Radeon RX 5700, or Nvidia RTX 2060 SUPER or 2070 would be such minor upgrades over that card (in the 10-20% range) that they would also probably not be worth considering, as the performance uplift isn't likely to be all that noticeable in most titles.

It would also be kind of a waste switching to something like a Ryzen 3900X or i9-9900K just for gaming. Those CPUs are more intended for professional workloads, and the performance differences in current games will be nearly nonexistant compared to far less expensive hardware.

For what reason do you want to upgrade? Is performance inadequate in the games you play? If so, what games are you noticing performance issues in? That should still be fairly high-end hardware. What resolution (and refresh rate if you happen to know it) is the screen you are gaming on? Listing the model number would work if you don't know.

A CPU upgrade might only provide any benefit if you have a high refresh rate screen (like 144Hz) at a relatively low resolution like 1080p. On the other hand, if you had a high resolution screen (like 1440p or 4K) performance will be mostly limited by your graphics hardware, and focusing on a graphics card upgrade alone would likely provide the most benefit. And if it's only a 1080p 60Hz screen, you probably wouldn't get much out of a hardware upgrade at all, since your existing CPU and graphics card should be able to push frame-rates over 100fps in most games at that resolution, while a 60Hz screen will only update the image 60 times per second. In that case, it's possible that you might benefit most from a monitor upgrade.

Aug 30, 2019
If you already have a GTX 1070 Ti, an RTX 2060 would be kind of a pointless upgrade, since they both offer approximately the same level of performance, with the only notable things differentiating the 2060 being hardware support for raytraced lighting effects (which are only supported in a few games so far) but 2GB less VRAM, which could hurt performance in future titles. And even the Radeon RX 5700, or Nvidia RTX 2060 SUPER or 2070 would be such minor upgrades over that card (in the 10-20% range) that they would also probably not be worth considering, as the performance uplift isn't likely to be all that noticeable in most titles.

It would also be kind of a waste switching to something like a Ryzen 3900X or i9-9900K just for gaming. Those CPUs are more intended for professional workloads, and the performance differences in current games will be nearly nonexistant compared to far less expensive hardware.

For what reason do you want to upgrade? Is performance inadequate in the games you play? If so, what games are you noticing performance issues in? That should still be fairly high-end hardware. What resolution (and refresh rate if you happen to know it) is the screen you are gaming on? Listing the model number would work if you don't know.

A CPU upgrade might only provide any benefit if you have a high refresh rate screen (like 144Hz) at a relatively low resolution like 1080p. On the other hand, if you had a high resolution screen (like 1440p or 4K) performance will be mostly limited by your graphics hardware, and focusing on a graphics card upgrade alone would likely provide the most benefit. And if it's only a 1080p 60Hz screen, you probably wouldn't get much out of a hardware upgrade at all, since your existing CPU and graphics card should be able to push frame-rates over 100fps in most games at that resolution, while a 60Hz screen will only update the image 60 times per second. In that case, it's possible that you might benefit most from a monitor upgrade.

I honestly only use my PC to play games such as PUBg, and Battlefield 5 and some csgo. I run 1920x1080 @ 144hz 1ms respons time on a 24" Asus monitor. (model number vg248qe) And i feel choppy sometimes when i play, and notice at some instances my games may even have a super hard fps drop (sometimes down to 10) only for a few seconds (and this has only happened twice) but then it jumps right back up. Basically i would just like to be able to run games on high/ultra at a constant 144 fps, if thats possible with my current setup.