worth upgrading ram?

joluk44

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2012
hey guys, ive got 16gb of g.skill F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT ram currently installed, but wheen i built this comp it was just cheap ram that came as a package.

although there is 16gb of it, is it worth upgrading to better quality? if so, what is a reasonable model?

my motherboard is an asrock z68 pro3 gen3

Solution
If the system is stable, and you do not have any problems with it (speed or stability), then you can just leave it as is. The memory you have may be basic, but there's nothing wrong with basic especially if you are not overclocking the CPU. Also, 16GB is plenty, so you should not have any lag or delays.

You can upgrade if you would like, or just enjoy what you have! :D

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT

What is the general use of this computer ? In normal every day use 16gb is not necessary even for games. A few years back I thought I was going to build this super gaming rig and have 24gb of ram to make gameplay awesome. One day I had the resource monitor open on a second screen while gaming to see what was being used for the games as I also had the i7-980x and to my surprise I saw that I was only using 5.5gb or ram.

So having 16gb in not necessary unless your doing video editing or photo editing or 3D rendering. For the most part if you want to speed the ram up a little you can change the setting in the bios and overclock the ram a bit.
You can also take and sell the ram you have and buy a better kit, maybe 8gb of 1866mhz or 8gb of 1600mhz if that's what you want to do. Some of the top brands/models are G.Skill Trident-X, Corsair Dominator Platinum, Kingston Hyper-X Beast and Crucial Ballistix Tactical.
It's your money and your choice as to what you want to do.

If the system is stable, and you do not have any problems with it (speed or stability), then you can just leave it as is. The memory you have may be basic, but there's nothing wrong with basic especially if you are not overclocking the CPU. Also, 16GB is plenty, so you should not have any lag or delays.

You can upgrade if you would like, or just enjoy what you have! :D

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT

Solution