[SOLVED] Worth Upgrading RAM ?

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hello

I’m wondering if you think it’s even worth upgrading the RAM on my Dad’s 2012 PC?
And no – not going to upgrade the whole thing right now ok.

I could get some more cheap secondhand or new if I had too.

I’ll list System Specs at the end ok!

He only uses it for browsing/Youtube…

However, we fill up Chrome with sometimes up to 400-1000 Tabs (using Tab suspender too) and I’m wondering if increasing the RAM speed and or amount of GB will help as it can take forever too load and can konk out sometimes?

Yes – the simple answer is don’t have a crazy amount of tabs – but trust me that won’t change.

Please keep in mind – I will be upgrading this to Win 11 Pro 64 bit sometime very soon (it’s 8.1 Pro 64 bit at the moment). Will this affect anything RAM wise?

Question is – is even the fastest and biggest amount of DDR3 going to make any notable difference or is it not worth bothering?

I don’t think I can upgrade to DDR4 on this motherboard but I’m hoping you might be able to tell me what is the fastest speed and the largest amount of RAM I can use on this Motherboard?

I know that what they list on their website is often the minimum supported and you can often exceed this? I’m assuming with such an old PC there’s no point in bothering with QVL? Just get anything?

Please don’t forget – whatever you list – please try to give an estimate in percentage/% as to how much of a difference you think it would make for the way he uses it?

Thank you for your help

Gigabyte Z77X-D3H, cpu Intel i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz, 3.90 GHz
16GB DDR3 RAM
Antec VP-550W Strictly PSU
Samsung 128GB SSD 840W Pro SATA3 2.5"
Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMZ16GX3M2A1600CP Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 DIMM
64 Bit Win 8.1 Pro
But will be upgrading to Win 10 Pro

Solution
More RAM won't necessarily help much since reloading web pages is usually primarily limited by internet speed, especially when loading multiple pages at once.

Look at SSD activity while Chrome is "slow" to see if it might be due to swapfile activity. If activity is near-zero through most page loads, then adding more ram will make little to no difference.

As for the browser "konking out", that may just be a side-effect of having more open tabs than the browser was designed to ever have open at the same time. You really should dump everything that isn't getting used on a regular basis into bookmarks instead of leaving open tabs.

InvalidError

Titan
More RAM won't necessarily help much since reloading web pages is usually primarily limited by internet speed, especially when loading multiple pages at once.

Look at SSD activity while Chrome is "slow" to see if it might be due to swapfile activity. If activity is near-zero through most page loads, then adding more ram will make little to no difference.

As for the browser "konking out", that may just be a side-effect of having more open tabs than the browser was designed to ever have open at the same time. You really should dump everything that isn't getting used on a regular basis into bookmarks instead of leaving open tabs.

Solution