Worth upgrading RX 480 4gb to RX 580 8GB?

firemrshlbill

Reputable
Jun 14, 2018
Hey, I recently bought an RX 480 4GB (MSI Gaming X) and just saw a deal on a RX 580 8GB (MSI Armor) for basically $50 more after rebates. My question is, is it worth just doing the upgrade? By the time I sell the 480 (and pay any fees online), it would probably be closer to an $80 difference.

I haven't even built the rig yet (Ryzen 2600x, 16gb of 3200 ddr4, Aorus mobo, etc.) as I am waiting on parts from newegg and amazon. So I haven't even tested the 480.

I know an OC'd 480 is pretty close to a 580, and the gamer x editions have better cooling than the armor editions, so is the jump from 4gb to 8gb worth it these days (especially at $80)? I am just doing 1080p 60fps and looking for high quality (dont care too much about ultra) and probably won't bump up to a higher res monitor for another year or two and probably going to be Steam Link'ng to my living room tv 1/2 the time anyway. Coming from a 2gb 750ti + i3 rig, so a big jump either way.

Solution
If you plan to stick with 1080p gaming, the 580 will last you longer. Although if you intend on switching up to 4k gaming, you'd want a 1080 Ti (or hold off until the new cards come out)

firemrshlbill

Reputable
Jun 14, 2018

More of the single player AAA type stuff. The Witcher games (CyberPunk announcement piqued my interest), Bethesda games, single player shooters, RPGs, etc. Unless its a console exclusive or has a great Switch port (I love that thing, and hope that PC streaming app comes out someday), then I plan to get the games on PC these days since violent/graphic games are very limited in my living room with my kids being old enough to understand and too young to see it.

Since I plan to get a better monitor in 1-2 years, if I keep the 480, then I'd want to upgrade to a Vega/1070/1080 at that time. If I get the 580 now, then I'd probably want it to last me 4 years, so 2 years or so into higher res gaming (I know it would be at lower settings, and would be fine at medium settings at 1440 or higher).

CoDrift

Honorable
Jun 11, 2018

So just keep it!
After all it can run games like Skyrim, Doom, Assassins creed, Rise of the Tomb Raider, etc with good enough fps (60+)
Best to save and buy a new one later with the monitor, unless you want more fps!
But its all up to you! :d

firemrshlbill

Reputable
Jun 14, 2018

I got the 480 used. So will just have to sell it. For the difference, I'd rather just grab the 8gb 580 now and see how long it lasts me. If the 480 was 8gb, it wouldn't even be a question on keeping it. Not sure why I grabbed a 4gb in the first place.

Thanks, I went ahead and just grabbed it and will sell the 480.