[SOLVED] Worth upgrading Ryzen 5 3600?

Aug 8, 2017
So, I was wondering, is it worth upgrading my cpu from my current one? I play games like Escape From Tarkov and Valorant at 1440p, and was thinking if the extra headroom from a better cpu would be worth it, I noticed in cpu heavier programs the cpu kind of struggles. Im not sure if running a 1440p display with a 1660 super really affects it much or at all. Thank you for any helpful responses!

Specs
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: Trident Z 32 Gb 3000 Mhz (8x4) not the best I know
Mobo: Asus TUF X470
PSU: EVGA Gold 600w
GPU: EVGA 1660 Super

Solution
People tend to overestimate the value of the CPU... I've been running my 4930k since 2013. It started off with a GTX 760, then I upgraded to dual GTX 780s a few years back. I just now upgraded to a 3060Ti and it's still running most games like a champ. Your 3600 is a very good CPU, and you're unlikely to encounter CPU bottlenecks at 1440p resolution in most games. Your money would be much better spent on a GPU (if you can find one near MSRP - good luck!) that could give you a significant performance upgrade, versus a very marginal upgrade from a CPU.
Worth it is something that only you can answer. You would not see any drastic changes going to the 5000 series and still be on the same GPU but if you are planning to upgrade GPU in the future the 5000 series is stronger and is the latest and last CPU's for your board which possible increases its longevity.

Aug 8, 2017
Worth it is something that only you can answer. You would not see any drastic changes going to the 5000 series and still be on the same GPU but if you are planning to upgrade GPU in the future the 5000 series is stronger and is the latest and last CPU's for your board which possible increases its longevity.
That is true, I'll have to look into the newer ones. I do intend to upgrade my gpu whenever I can though. Thank you

drewthebrave

Reputable
Aug 16, 2017
People tend to overestimate the value of the CPU... I've been running my 4930k since 2013. It started off with a GTX 760, then I upgraded to dual GTX 780s a few years back. I just now upgraded to a 3060Ti and it's still running most games like a champ. Your 3600 is a very good CPU, and you're unlikely to encounter CPU bottlenecks at 1440p resolution in most games. Your money would be much better spent on a GPU (if you can find one near MSRP - good luck!) that could give you a significant performance upgrade, versus a very marginal upgrade from a CPU.

Solution