Worth upgrading to 9700Pro?

Ris3n_Da3mon

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2003
the only thing i can think to point out is that you'll still get good performance in all the DX9 games, you just won't be getting the new shader effects..........the games'll still look badass......just not as much so as with a DX9 card

augustus108

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
Could someone please explain the significant of AA & AF?
The game right now I am playing is Warcraft 3, Final Fantasy 7 and planning on to plat Max Payne 2 and Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy and Neverwinter Night.
Thanks
One reason why I want to upgrade is because of the pricing right now for 9700.

System Integration...yeah right, thanks to marketing, more confusion

bandikoot

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
Short version, anti-aliasing smoothes lines at an angle so they don't look jagged and prevents some weird interlace effects that can appear on distant objects while anisotropic filtering compensates for the elogation of pixels on a texture surface. BTW, a friend of mine has a ti4200 and I have a 9800pro. So far I've borrowed WCIII, Jedi Academy, NWN, and soon will be borrowing MP2 from him. I've seen him play all of theses and they look great on his comp and I can't remember him turning stuff off. IMO, there is little to no diffrence on my comp with my card on the first three I mentioned. (except for better AA on mine) There was an odd dynamic lighting bug on the ati cards though for jedi academy. Taking a minute to look at the lucas arts site, ok this took longer than a minute, but I see that they still have this listed in their FAQ so I guess its not patched yet.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You like blurry console games on the TV, AA is a smart bluring feature that only blurs the edges.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I would.
I love my 9800, I went from a GF3 myself.

If your going to get a 9700Pro I'd suggest a 9800NP (for around the same price) like mine was originally.
You might get lucky and it might be able to clock to Pro speeds, if not its still as fast as a 9700Pro.

----
I just tell it like it is and some can't handle it. If your experience is different, well congratu-fukulation.
<b>I’M NOT A ATI FANBOY, I’M NOT A NV FANBOY, I’M A STABILITY FANBOY</b>

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
For these games, I like running with both turned on, on resolutions of 1280x1024 & below the quality of the game graphics is visably improved with these turned on...

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...