[SOLVED] Worth upgrading to an NVIDIA RTX 2080 Super for my current 2013 rig?

roby24

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2016
Usage: 4K Gaming

Current Specs:
  • ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance
  • Intel i7 3770
  • 16GB RAM DDR3
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
  • CPU Liquid Cooler DEEPCOOL MAELSTROM 120T
  • Case DEEPCOOL DUKASE V2
  • 128GB SDD (Mostly for OS)
  • 2TB Sata HDD
  • Corsair GS600 600W PSU
It's a 2013 rig. I only changed GPU and case a couple of years ago. I was wondering if with my current specs is worth investing on a RTX 2080 Super or if I should take into account anything else in the equation?

I usually play at 4K without issues, but lately overheating has become a problem, and with demanding games (RE3, AC Odissey, etc.) the PC usually green screen and shutdown after a while.

I would like to keep the budget under 1.000$. Aside from the GPU, I was thinking that I would at least need a cooling system for the card (if so, which one would you recommend) and probably another SSD for the games, as I'm only using it for my OS now so I know I'm wasting a lot there.

Thoughts? It's the upgrade worth it or should I be aiming to upgrade motherboard or any other component first before getting the card?

Solution
I've got a 2070 super, paired with 6700k. CPU never bottlenecks. But 3rd gen might be pushing it....But people who upgrade CPUs every year azre crazy. Or have the money to burn.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
My main question would be, if you get a 2080 Super, then when would you be making a platform upgrade? If this is going to be your platform for years, I'd simply stash that money away, and when you do update your platform, use that saved money to buy the even better GPU that will cost what the 2080 Super costs now.

Now, what exactly is overheating? You didn't specify. And what steps have you taken to resolve the heating?

roby24

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2016
For the GPU 85C+, dangerously close to the max, probably more under heavy stress.

For the CPU, aside from installing the cooling system and changing the paste recently, nothing else. Case is open and fan seems to be working properly.

Never installed a GPU cooling system, so I don't really have experience on best practices here.

I usually remove dust and use a contact cleaner every now and then, which seems to help a little, but I think I will be needing a little more if I keep playing on 4k.

If I can upgrade the card and cooling for under 1.000$ I would keep the current system for at least 2/3 more years. If that's not recommended, I would be tempted to invest more on a new rig (2/2.5K max.), but as said, I would prefer to avoid that for now if upgrading the GPU only would give an acceptable performance for incoming games.

Rmckay3421

Commendable
Jul 19, 2017
I've got a 2070 super, paired with 6700k. CPU never bottlenecks. But 3rd gen might be pushing it....But people who upgrade CPUs every year azre crazy. Or have the money to burn.

Solution

roby24

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2016
@Rmckay3421 right on the spot.

I did some more research, and I finally decided to go for a 2070 Super too. It's more than enough for what I need right now, and it gives me some space to upgrade another component if need arise, without building a new rig.