Worth upgrading whole system yet? I7 3770

vinylpusher

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
Hello,

At the moment I have i7 3770 - 16gb DDR3 - rx480 8gb - 4K monitor.

Playing shadow of tomb raider I’m getting between 30 - 50 FPS on 1440p medium to high settings.

If I upgrade my GPU will the rest of my system bottleneck it?.

I’ve been thinking of upgrading my CPU to a coffee lake 8600k or 8400.

Is it worth upgrading my whole system yet? (Mobo, RAM, CPU)

Or should I just buy a better GPU and wait to do the rest?.

Thanks

Solution
It's probably best to wait until the CPU upgrade will be huge. Your i7 is still up there with the best for gaming purposes. You could probably even skip the eight-core i7 that's supposed to be out in a few weeks. Your frame rates are absolutely GPU-limited.

What GPUs are you looking at upgrading to? a GTX 1080 would probably be the first substantial upgrade from the RX 480. Used and refurbished models are pretty good deals, and you might even find a new one for close to $400.

The prime mediocre

Distinguished
It's probably best to wait until the CPU upgrade will be huge. Your i7 is still up there with the best for gaming purposes. You could probably even skip the eight-core i7 that's supposed to be out in a few weeks. Your frame rates are absolutely GPU-limited.

What GPUs are you looking at upgrading to? a GTX 1080 would probably be the first substantial upgrade from the RX 480. Used and refurbished models are pretty good deals, and you might even find a new one for close to $400.

Solution

vinylpusher

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
Thanks for the answers.

Well, i would have been looking at a 1080ti but now with the 2080 hitting the market soon..... I’m not sure if again, I should hold off until real benchmarks come out.