Question Worth upgrading?

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
What is the make and model of your PSU and it's age? Regardless of what you add atop of that GTX1060, it's pointless considering you've got that i7-3770 to work with.

but isnt i7-3770 still good cpu? And will goo good with 1070? Just asking

becouse now on games i have like 98/99% gpu usage and about 55-70% of cpu (depend on the games)

Psu is 1y old it is antec ea750g pro ec.

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
but isnt i7-3770 still good cpu? And will goo good with 1070? Just asking

becouse now on games i have like 98/99% gpu usage and about 55-70% of cpu (depend on the games)

Psu is 1y old it is antec ea750g pro ec.
Good is relative to what you're trying to achieve: 1080p/60hz at mid settings on many popular games is achievable with the 1070 or even with your current 1060. However, if you want to get better performance at higher settings or play recent AAA games, the 3770 is a little dated.

Worth is something only YOU can determine.
Sounds reasonable to me.
The psu is good. 1070 is a reasonably large jump in capability.
How much benefit will be determined by the games you play.

Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
Worth is something only YOU can determine.
Sounds reasonable to me.
The psu is good. 1070 is a reasonably large jump in capability.
How much benefit will be determined by the games you play.

Try this simple test:
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

so this is like i try today.

i download forza horizon 5 and all on extreme i have about 50/60fps but when i put all on medium/high i have 100+ fps resolution stay the same,gou at 98/99% usage and cpu about 50 i think (msi afterburner)

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
More ram just helps you load more textures. It can’t help FPS. It can help make the sky look real pretty tho.
I am not the “texture” or game must run on “ultra to be pretty” i am more medium guy with high fps,i play csgo on lowesr,i play tomb raider 2013 on med i love high fps,i dont know why i am planing to buy now 24” 144hz monitor…

There is more to the 1060 6gb than just 3gb of vram. It also has 1280 CUDA cores vs. 1152 on the 3gb version.
Still, that is not a big jump in capability.
If you do not buy a big boost, you will feel disappointed.

Tom's GPU Hierarchy list can help you rank differing cards:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

I would think a 1070 class card or better would be what you want.

Last edited:

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
A 1070 will unlock better frametates for you at medium but won’t let you hit 144hz.. If you want to hit 144hz you will need a new CPU as well. And probably at least a 2070.

but in some games i think it will,i play warzone on low,i have rtx
2060 mobile and also play on low hah…
I want 144hz its faster in everyway browsing etc…
And if i have 60hz and 90fps i only se 60hz but if i have 144hz and 90fps i se 90….

what you think about then from 1060 3gb to 1060 6gb?

As someone running a i5-3570K oc'ed to 4.5 myself (upgrading soon) and a 1060 6GB I usually see balanced load or a more or less massive CPU bottleneck.
In the end it depends on your games, and if your extra threads give you any benefit (compared to my about 20% higher clock) running them. If HT will not help enough to offset that, you won't see any better than I on my i5.

On the other hand, with a faster card, you can always up the settings and enjoy better quality. And if you can get that 1070 for a good price in the current market, you can always think of it for later, when you eventually upgrade your CPU.
Going from a 1060 3GB to a 1060 6GB is small enough of a difference to not be really noticeable it in todays games. If one of them can run it, the other can as well. And if one of them isn't enough, the other won't change that.

If the i7 is good is really relative, nowadays i3 do those cores/threads and clocks with faster memory and architectural improvements.
Look at the i3-10100, that runs 3.6 base clock, all core turbo of 4.1 and single core turbo of 4.3, while the i7-3770 runs 3.4 base clock, 3.7 all core turbo and 3.9 single core turbo. It clocks about 8-10% higher in all states but performs about 20-25% better.

But as has been mentioned, check if your CPU will be able to properly support a faster card in your games:
Try this simple test:

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
As someone running a i5-3570K oc'ed to 4.5 myself (upgrading soon) and a 1060 6GB I usually see balanced load or a more or less massive CPU bottleneck.
In the end it depends on your games, and if your extra threads give you any benefit (compared to my about 20% higher clock) running them. If HT will not help enough to offset that, you won't see any better than I on my i5.

On the other hand, with a faster card, you can always up the settings and enjoy better quality. And if you can get that 1070 for a good price in the current market, you can always think of it for later, when you eventually upgrade your CPU.
Going from a 1060 3GB to a 1060 6GB is small enough of a difference to not be really noticeable it in todays games. If one of them can run it, the other can as well. And if one of them isn't enough, the other won't change that.

If the i7 is good is really relative, nowadays i3 do those cores/threads and clocks with faster memory and architectural improvements.
Look at the i3-10100, that runs 3.6 base clock, all core turbo of 4.1 and single core turbo of 4.3, while the i7-3770 runs 3.4 base clock, 3.7 all core turbo and 3.9 single core turbo. It clocks about 8-10% higher in all states but performs about 20-25% better.

But as has been mentioned, check if your CPU will be able to properly support a faster card in your games:
Ok thanks.

yes it does as i say above.

so no upgrade from 3gb 1060 to 6gb 1060? Not worth any penny? Usless?or?