Question Worth upgrate from i7 4790 to i5 8400 or ryzen 5 2600?

adicretzu

Commendable
Apr 8, 2019
I want to upgrade my system but i am not sure that worth it.
My system specs:

Asus Mobo H81 chipset
CPU i7 4790
GPU MSI ARMOR 1660Ti
12 GB ddr 3 at 1600 Mhz
PSU Seasonic 650 W

I am thinking to update it to i5 8400 or ryzen5 2600 with 16 GB ddr4
I also can sell my current i7 4790 and go with i7 4790k that way will be cheaper but i dont have a motherboard that can overclock the k version of 4790.
I will still use the same GPU.
What are your recomandations?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Was watching a video the other day by one of the more popular YouTube reviewers who was comparing the 8400, the 9400F (the one without integrated graphics) and the 2600. The rigs were all the same, so much as they could be, and he put a 4ghz OC on the Ryzen. On the titles he tested the Intel chips were showing a slight edge on the highest frame rate, but averages were so close as to almost be a non issue. IIRC the Ryzen system came out a few dollars cheaper and even though it didn't perform quite as well as the Intel systems on pure gaming, it did so much better on the multithread productivity tasks that he could not (fully) make the recommend to go with the Intel outside of a pure gaming setting.

Currently think there is a lot to be said for the value in Ryzen 5 as an all around machine.

srimasis

Distinguished
Do not upgrade anything for now. I would advise against i5 8400 since they are not much future proof and Ryzen 3000 series will be launched in 4-5 months with more cores for the price than Ryzen 2000 series.

As far as I know your motherboard only has 2 ram slots. That means your memory configuration is 8+4 GB. Your memories are not running in dual channel.

So the solution for now (till Ryzen 3000 series releases) is to buy another 8 GB ram identical to your existing one and run them in 8+8 dual channel mode. This will give you a performance boost of 10-20 fps and is cheaper compared to other options.
This video shows the FPS difference in games running in single channel vs dual channel.

Reactions: adicretzu

adicretzu

Commendable
Apr 8, 2019
Do not upgrade anything for now. I would advise against i5 8400 since they are not much future proof and Ryzen 3000 series will be launched in 4-5 months with more cores for the price than Ryzen 2000 series.

As far as I know your motherboard only has 2 ram slots. That means your memory configuration is 8+4 GB. Your memories are not running in dual channel.

So the solution for now (till Ryzen 3000 series releases) is to buy another 8 GB ram identical to your existing one and run them in 8+8 dual channel mode. This will give you a performance boost of 10-20 fps and is cheaper compared to other options.
This video shows the FPS difference in games running in single channel vs dual channel.
Interesting idea.
I run on dual channel but one slot is 8GB and the other is 4GB. BFV System requirments is 12 GB ram and usualy i dont use more then 10 gb acording to MSI Afterburner. That video shows a coparision for 16 gb single channel vs 16 dual. I am not sure that having a dual channel 16 GB will help. But maybe i will try. Thanx for advise.

Last edited:

adicretzu

Commendable
Apr 8, 2019
I7-2600k with RTX 2060 - I get about 100fps and yours should be better.
Are you sure you don't have Vsync on or something?
No, Vsync is off. You reach 100 fps on what video settings? How much ram you have?
I mean i also get 100 fps on high settings but usualy drops at 55 -65 when is alot of action and on some maps.
My CPU reach sometomes 68 degrees but i dont thonk is much and that will throttle the fps.

Last edited:

adicretzu

Commendable
Apr 8, 2019
Dual is important and it can potentially be 10fps..or more, just depends.
Why not have alook in buying a decent Z97 motherboard. Some are still available
There is no future proof to buy a Z97 motherboard because i can not overclock this CPU and on this mobo i can go dual channel with 16 gb ddr.
I just order another 8GB ddr3 should arrive tomorow, and i will come with a reply.

InvalidError

Titan
BTW, if you are "only using" 10GB out of 12GB, this means you have less than 2GB to spare for caching files and for Windows to work with before it has to use the swapfile. This usually translates to more frequent stutter from the OS needing to access storage more often than it would with more spare RAM to work with. Practically all of the 'spare' memory eventually gets allocated to the file system cache and indirectly gets used this way anyway.

Reactions: adicretzu

adicretzu

Commendable
Apr 8, 2019
I just upgraded to 16 gb ddr dual channel now it performs incredible better, as i didnt expect such a big diference. I get 100 fps sometimes even on ultra on BFV. Also usualy runs on ultra at 75-90 fps on average.On high settings goes 100-110 fps.
Thanks to all for advice. Now always i use 9,4-10,2 GB of ram in game. So actualy my PC didnt use so much ram in game because the windows needed also.
So for a while i will be OK with my system.

Reactions: ElectrO_90