Worth waiting for GDDR5X?

AP911

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2013
Some Context Before my question(TLDR in the end):

Recently I had made up my mind that I would go for the 1070 over the 1060 because I could spare the extra cost. When I approached a vendor to find the final prize(with tax), I found out that the stocks for the 10 series cards were low and only a few pieces were left for each model. This was also the case for the other vendors I approached, and then i read about the 1060 GDDR5X and I thought the vendors clearing out their shelves and the new card are related. So, coming to my question:

Should I wait for the release of the GDDR5X cards( this is assuming they release the 1070 with GDDR5X, because so far only the 1060 has been announced) and will the increased memory bandwidth actually matter? I mainly use my PC for Gaming and Work(not graphically intensive) and I will be looking to buy future titles which will be graphically demanding.

On a side note: will the 1070 hold good for the next few years? Am i better off going for a 1060 and then maybe upgrade after a few years?

TL;DR: Is it worth waiting for the GDDR5X cards instead of going for a 1070 GDDR5 right now?

My PC specs:
i5-4670k
8GB RAM
GTX 770( Busted )

Solution
That new GTX 1060 with G5X is a bit of a weird thing...

https://videocardz.com/78786/palit-launches-geforce-gtx-1060-gamingpro-oc-with-gddr5x-memory

According to this article, even though the memory is factory overclocked by +10% it will only be running at 8800MHz/8.8Gbps.
Which makes it slower than the 9060MHz/9Gbps G5 model previously released.

Albeit this is a bump over the 'regular' model featuring 8000MHz/8Gbps G5. Maybe it will manually overclock even further. But who knows.

It might just be Nvidia getting rid of some low grade G5X!
That new GTX 1060 with G5X is a bit of a weird thing...

https://videocardz.com/78786/palit-launches-geforce-gtx-1060-gamingpro-oc-with-gddr5x-memory

According to this article, even though the memory is factory overclocked by +10% it will only be running at 8800MHz/8.8Gbps.
Which makes it slower than the 9060MHz/9Gbps G5 model previously released.

Albeit this is a bump over the 'regular' model featuring 8000MHz/8Gbps G5. Maybe it will manually overclock even further. But who knows.

It might just be Nvidia getting rid of some low grade G5X!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS